starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not really an injury but stiff and sore all the time

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Perhaps you could educate the thread participants. I feel like I know quite a bit about statins compared to the average person, but I am open to learn.
    I simply recommended the OP try CoQ10 given my personal experience and understanding of how statins primary side effect is myalgias. I believe his chief complaint seemed consistent with statin induced myalgias. Did it not? So, I recommended he consider trying a nutritional supplement to replace depleted levels of CoQ10 that been documented to be depleted by statins. I was recommended this supplement coincidentally enough by a good friend of mine who is a long time physical therapist (also my former Jiu Jitsu instructor as well).

I got a bit perturbed at the response by another poster that Said “Try the tablets, waste some time and a few dollars, then, when that doesn't work, get serious about proper programming, technique, rest and diet”. So I invited him to clarify his statement.

If you think I’m off base here feel free to correct me. Again, I am not a doctor and was simply passing along thoughtful information as a fellow MI veteran and statin user.

No. Just started the CoQ10 and for what it's worth, not soreness after my last workout of heavy day squats. Have no idea if that is a coincidence or not. Also got bloodwork done and my ALT (SGPT) is somewhat elevated (51). I was told this could be related to Tylenol or alcohol use, but WebMD says it is also possibly related to statins, aspirin (i take a baby aspirin daily) and muscle damage. I had been taking Tylenol 1x day for about a week daily following some dental work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gbraddock View Post
    Assuming you know absolutely zero about statins, heart disease etc with that comment. How would you then treat someone who takes a statin and is dealing with symptoms consistent with statin induced myalgias given you feel trying CoQ10 a waste of time? Curious to know.
    What does the medical evidence say ?

Coenzyme Q10 and statin-related myopathy

Publisher:
    Drug and Therapeutics Bulletin
    Publication date:
    14 May 2015
    Abstract

The DTB found limited evidence that statins cause coenzyme Q10 (CQ) deficiency and insufficient evidence to identify CQ deficiency as cause of statin-induced myopathy (SIM). It also reported that evidence on CQ supplementation on SIM is inconclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by mbdonner View Post
    No. Just started the CoQ10 and for what it's worth, not soreness after my last workout of heavy day squats. Have no idea if that is a coincidence or not. Also got bloodwork done and my ALT (SGPT) is somewhat elevated (51). I was told this could be related to Tylenol or alcohol use, but WebMD says it is also possibly related to statins, aspirin (i take a baby aspirin daily) and muscle damage. I had been taking Tylenol 1x day for about a week daily following some dental work.
    ALT can be elevated slightly by barbell training (which produces a salutary amount of "muscle damage"), and I would consider 51 to be in the "slightly elevated" range. If you or your doctor are concerned about whether you have some liver disease, you should have it rechecked after avoiding the gym for a few days. make sure you're well-hydrated.

Very unlikely that tylenol or aspirin in recommended doses would cause this. Alcohol usually elevates AST more than ALT if it is inflaming your liver. And you should know if you are drinking too much without having to test your liver enzymes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Coenzyme Q10 and statin-related myopathy

Publisher:
    Drug and Therapeutics Bulletin
    Publication date:
    14 May 2015
    Abstract

The DTB found limited evidence that statins cause coenzyme Q10 (CQ) deficiency and insufficient evidence to identify CQ deficiency as cause of statin-induced myopathy (SIM). It also reported that evidence on CQ supplementation on SIM is inconclusive.
    I can match you with studies that show the opposite. The point is...TRY CoQ10 and see if it helps. Show me data suggesting that is unreasonable. But don’t come with an ill advised and conclusive comment that it doesn’t work when you don’t know either way. I DO know it works for me. HORRIBLE quad tendon pain for weeks and weeks. Started taking 400mg softgels (not tablets LOL) and within weeks it was gone.

OP...also saw data that shows the lipophilic statins (Simvastatin, atorvastatin and some others) show higher incidence of myalgias vs the hydrophilic ones (rosuvastatin and pravastatin mainly). Also the hydrophilic ones don’t cross the blood brain barrier and may be better for us long term from a brain health standpoint. Something to consider.

Of course the GIVEN is you have a coach with whom you have dialed in your nutrition and training program. I’m not sure why that’s even worth suggesting since it is so common sense. Nonetheless, if you have yet to take that step...I would and have do so myself. May seem expensive etc but worth it.

Best...

I can match you with studies that show the opposite. The point is...TRY CoQ10 and see if it helps. Show me data suggesting that is unreasonable. But don’t come with an ill advised and conclusive comment that it doesn’t work when you don’t know either way. I DO know it works for me. HORRIBLE quad tendon pain for weeks and weeks. Started taking 400mg softgels (not tablets LOL) and within weeks it was gone.
    As I said, waste some money and then find out what the problem actually is. I gave evidence that there is insufficient evidence that it works and there are many clinical studies that say the same thing.

You don't know it works for you, but you made that assumption without considering other possibilities too numerous to mention. Do a double blind study on yourself where you don't know if you have a placebo, or the real thing, then report back.

OP...also saw data that shows the lipophilic statins (Simvastatin, atorvastatin and some others) show higher incidence of myalgias vs the hydrophilic ones (rosuvastatin and pravastatin mainly). Also the hydrophilic ones don’t cross the blood brain barrier and may be better for us long term from a brain health standpoint. Something to consider.
    Interestingly, there isn't good evidence that statins lead to cognitive impairment, despite many people reporting experiences to the contrary. But if a medication makes you foggy, see if you can stop or switch. Also, there is growing evidence that statins REDUCE the risk of Alzheimer's disease, with lipophilic statins (that would cross the BBB more easily) having a stronger protective effect. This may have to do with APOE, which is a lipoprotein involved with fat metabolism, and a certain genetic subtype of APOE increases the risk of Alzheimer's.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    mbdonner, are you taking creatine right now?
    Will Morris, no, I am not taking creatine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast