starting strength gym

Thread: Fell and hurt shoulder--hurts to squat

Default Fell and hurt shoulder--hurts to squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    About three weeks ago, I slipped on the stair and injured my shoulder. Not sure what got injured, but it hurts if I abduct and both internally/externally rotate. Also some issues with just forward flexion. Not looking for a diagnosis...
    But it hurts like heck to low-bar back squat. The weight of the bar hurts and the shoulder position hurts. Tried putting my hands out wide on the bar--still hurts. Deadlift is okay. Some pain with overhead press, especially at the top, but took the weight way back so can manage.
    We have a safety bar. Is this a good option while I figure out what the heck is wrong with shoulder? How do I adjust the weight? I've never really used it and tried it out and...it seemed kind of like a front squat. I didn't really like it much.

Thanks.
    Sara

I think a Safety Squat Bar is a reasonable modification to make in this case. I’d keep trying to reintroduce normal squats, but use the SSB to maintain your current training.

Have you had radiographs / xrays taken?

Will what do you think of the hip belt squat type apparatus? Looks like a possible option for wrist, elbow, and shoulder injury sufferers. Not sure how available they are where the OP trains.