starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder Impingement Rehab

Default Shoulder Impingement Rehab

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

I am currently feeling pain in the front of my right shoulder that radiates into my upper arm and bicep slightly.

This seems to be a flare up from an old army injury to my rotator cuff (I think) that was never treated or rehabbed. It is from my young and dumb days and occurred in 2007.

It was not caused by lifting, but from my job,farming, where I have been clearing fence rows of trees and burning up scrub, old dead trees etc.

It is however being aggravated by my squats (shoulder position must be somewhat awkward) and my OHP and bench.

My bench on Wednesday was a work set of 225, I put it up fairly easy, but my shoulder flared up. Same today with my 170 OHP. It went up fine for five, but flared up again.

I am wondering about how to treat and rehab. Currently taking ibprophen and icing off and on.

My shoulder does not hurt typically and my lifts haven’t aggravated this old injury until these last 10 days.

Thank you for your time.

K Shedd

If I were a betting man, I'd say this is probably proximal biceps tendon pain. Videos of your bench and press would be helpful.

Thanks Dr(Coach?),
    I will work on getting videos. I have one of my Press but it is on the wrong (left) side.

So if I am putting my money on the proximal bicep tendon pain, what is the best way to treat that?

Thank you,
    Kevin

YouTube

Here is the press video I have. Like I said, it’s on the left side and so may not help what you’re looking for

Update: Had my shoulder checked out by my mother (retired nurse). She noticed crepidus in the front of my shoulder as well. No major clicking or popping, just crunching and grinding.

starting strength coach development program
    Yep.....press is definitely an issue. You are starting with your elbows way behind your shoulders. This puts the proximal biceps tendon on stretch and shoulder flexion (at least a good portion) comes from the biceps. Need to get you starting from a position where the elbow is slightly in front of the wrist. This will put you in relative shoulder flexion (you currently start in shoulder extension). Crepitus is normal at the AC joint in people over the age of 20-25 because the articular cartilage is mostly gone by this time in the life.