starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: “Avoid axial loading activities”

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Maybe if someone really cranks their neck into cervical flexion while low bar squatting in an attempt to "look down", but with central canal stenosis, flexion isn't the issue. It is classically described as being extension sensitive. There are a couple factors that have been described as to why this is the case. The exceptionally few central canal stenosis patients I have had, that were actually assessed to by symptomatic from the stenosis, all responded to repeated flexion and we modified the program to have them take up a position of less extension but brace in a tiny amount of flexion. Seemed to work well, but those patients were not the original poster and they didn't come to me with a recommendation to never axially load their spine again.
    I’ve noticed with myself and several clients who have apt and low back pain that bracing and squatting with a tiny bit of flexion or with the sternum “drawn down” a bit will quickly relieve back pain.

Soule, he almost certainly meant high impact or axial loading.....but for the cervical spine, axial loading occurs from the head. Wearing a heavy helmet, or something like that. High Impact is another story. Just stepping down from a curb is a relatively high impact activity. Jogging across the street to keep from getting hit by a bus is another. It is really a shame that none of these activities are supported by his pathology. Weightlifting, as it were, is exceptionally low to almost no impact......but, we can all assume this was the activity strand that the physician was talking about.

starting strength coach development program
    it did occur to me today that perhaps what the good doc meant was don’t do any silly shit like crossfit style handstand pushups using one’s head like a pogo stick.

I’m going to assume he means don’t axial load the c-spine via weight on top of the head and squats/presses are a thumbs up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12