starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternate to LTE for sore shoulder

Default Alternate to LTE for sore shoulder

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So I tweaked my right shoulder several months ago benching 190 lbs (felt/heard a bit of a crunchy noise, then pain about 2-3 inches down from top of shoulder on medial aspect of upper arm, most noticeable when lifting the arm away from the body at a 45 degree angle). Gave it a rest for a week or so, got back to it with a deload and a narrow grip, which seemed to help (was able to set PR press at USSF Fall Classic in October). Press and bench don't seem to bother it too much these days. These days for bench and press I'm following Will Morris' advice of keeping the intensity up and getting volume through multiple low rep sets (most recent bench was 212.5 x 3 x 6, press 145 x 3 x 6) using a grip that's about an inch narrower on each side than I would normally do. Shoulder usually feels better, or at least not worse, as the sets go on, so it seems things are going in the right direction.

I'm running a modified version of one of the HLM programs presented in BBRx where H is Squat, Bench, Chins, L is Squat, Press, Deadlift and M is Squat, Bench, LTE. I love LTEs, but the last time I did them, my shoulder was significantly more sore the next day than it had been in a long time so I'm looking for a good alternative to them. I added a bit of weight to them that session (60 lbs of plates on an E-Z curl bar that I'm not sure of the weight) so maybe that contributed.

I'd like to continue to do another upper body accessory exercise to replace the LTE for now. Suggestions? Another day of chins? I don't think dips would be indicated in this situation. Are rows indicated for someone of my age?

Thanks.

What about Close Grip Bench Press? Do you have access to bands?

OP Have you already seen this video Rip did? I looked at it recently and noted the detail on technique and the reasons for it.

YouTube

Just confirming and hope it helps

Thanks for responding, Will. Do you mean do the CG BP in addition to (as a replacement for the LTE) or instead of the slightly-closer-grip BP I'm doing already? I've been adding weight consistently to my bench and press with what I'm doing now, without aggravating the shoulder. My Medium day is (well, was) Squat, Bench, LTE. I don't know that I could handle Squat, Bench, CG Bench in the same workout as the six sets of three bench is pretty taxing.

I see people in the gym using bands but I haven't paid attention to whether they bring their own or the bands are supplied by the gym (I suspect the latter). What should I do with them?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gbraddock View Post
    OP Have you already seen this video Rip did? I looked at it recently and noted the detail on technique and the reasons for it.

YouTube

Just confirming and hope it helps
    Thanks for the link. It was in fact that video that got me started on doing LTEs a while back. I'll watch it again to see if I'm making any glaring mistakes, though.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    So I tweaked my right shoulder several months ago benching 190 lbs (felt/heard a bit of a crunchy noise, then pain about 2-3 inches down from top of shoulder on medial aspect of upper arm, most noticeable when lifting the arm away from the body at a 45 degree angle). Gave it a rest for a week or so, got back to it with a deload and a narrow grip, which seemed to help (was able to set PR press at USSF Fall Classic in October). Press and bench don't seem to bother it too much these days. These days for bench and press I'm following Will Morris' advice of keeping the intensity up and getting volume through multiple low rep sets (most recent bench was 212.5 x 3 x 6, press 145 x 3 x 6) using a grip that's about an inch narrower on each side than I would normally do. Shoulder usually feels better, or at least not worse, as the sets go on, so it seems things are going in the right direction.

I'm running a modified version of one of the HLM programs presented in BBRx where H is Squat, Bench, Chins, L is Squat, Press, Deadlift and M is Squat, Bench, LTE. I love LTEs, but the last time I did them, my shoulder was significantly more sore the next day than it had been in a long time so I'm looking for a good alternative to them. I added a bit of weight to them that session (60 lbs of plates on an E-Z curl bar that I'm not sure of the weight) so maybe that contributed.

I'd like to continue to do another upper body accessory exercise to replace the LTE for now. Suggestions? Another day of chins? I don't think dips would be indicated in this situation. Are rows indicated for someone of my age?

Thanks.
    I would think that dips are a reasonable substitute if they don’t irritate the shoulder. If you have access to an assisted dip/pullup machine or can set up bands for sub bodyweight, give them a try. Lean forward a bit and try not to let your shoulders shrug excessively.

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    I would think that dips are a reasonable substitute if they don’t irritate the shoulder. If you have access to an assisted dip/pullup machine or can set up bands for sub bodyweight, give them a try. Lean forward a bit and try not to let your shoulders shrug excessively.
    I suppose couldn't hurt to try. I'll let you know how it goes next time I'm scheduled for them. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    I suppose couldn't hurt to try. I'll let you know how it goes next time I'm scheduled for them. Thanks.
    So instead of chins-ups today, I went with dips. First set of eight felt fine, rested a bit, on rep six of the second set, shoulder started to feel a bit wonky so I stopped there. We'll see if any pain shows up by tomorrow. Could be the benching six sets of three at 215 before the dips had already put enough strain on the shoulder for one day.

Bummer, how about cable pulldowns? I’d try several grips (rope, bar, underhand) and see if one doesn’t piss off the shoulder.

starting strength coach development program
    I have a wonky shoulder from a dislocation a loooong time ago. I also compete as a master in powerlifting (55-59 age group). The way I manage my shoulder is as follows.

The majority of my off season bench is performed with a narrow (16-18” grip). Press is kept up diligently with an 18” grip. I do pull downs on lower body days and rows on upper body days (4 day split during a 9 day week). The most important factor though is paying very close attention to technique by pushing the sternum up, tucking the elbows and not allowing the elbows to drift out too early. If I deviate just a bit from this groove the shoulder acts up. I do dips in the off season, then when weights get heavier during peaking periods, I eliminate them to save wear on the shoulders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast