starting strength gym
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: High School Deadlift Injury/The Government Schools

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I certainly had to correct behaviors and habits I learned in primary school upon reaching adulthood. Not surprisingly, nobody ever warned me about this.

Maybe free college isn’t such a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Shea Frazier View Post
    free and appropriate education
    Doesn't exist.
    what sets America apart from the rest of the world
    Freedom is what sets you apart. Where I live, for example, you're not allowed to be homeschooled. We are also 5 times poorer and everyone has free and shitty education.

"They need to interact with other children" is such a croc. Children do that anyway. The quality learning time is spent with adults and children are like enormous sponges for facts, information and skills. Why any parent would stick their most precious possession into a Government institution on the proviso that 'mixing with other kids' made them better at life, is beyond me. I've learned far more since I left school, than I ever did when I was there. I learned to read and write before I ever went to school and then was forced to partake in an educational experiment referred to as ITA, which screwed up my spelling for life.

In my opinion the biggest improvement would be to somehow get Trump to eliminate the Federal Dept of education which was a payoff by Carter to the NEA union for votes

Why Do We Have a Department of Education? Jimmy Carter’s Debt to a Teachers Union. – Reason.com

When my children were just starting school age I visited their public school and was horrified at the work papers they had proudly taled to the class room walls with comments like “ great work Johnnie”.

These papers were covered with spelling and punctuation errors. When I commented on that the teacher responded they didn’t want to “damage the child’s self esteem“.

My kids were jerked out of their that day my wife tried home school but this was prior to the internet and she was struggling.

We then used the Catholic grammar schools which were great, very expensive but great. unfortunately there were no catholic high schools in our area so they transitioned to the public school. (Most of the catholic school kids were not Catholics and many were the children of the local universities professors. What’s that tell you?)

The first thing my kids told me was the things they were learning at the public school were things they had already learned in 5 th grade.

They became straight A student’s by default.

The bottom line is public education is primarily progressive indoctrination. The NEA has unintentionally admitted that fact in an interview.

If you have kids, live below your means and get them the hell out of public school.

While I appreciate the effort being made to set the record straight around the benefits of home schooling, I feel the urge to ask the question: what are working parents supposed to do?

Perhaps working parents in middle to upper income brackets could afford to have someone come into their home to teach their children, but what about lower income parents?

Simply saying "just homeschool" does not work for the vast majority of families in this country.

I realize this leads into larger issues of income inequality. So long as our public schools are failing us, the cycle will continue.

I personally have seen the benefits of a well run charter school and do believe that charters can be a solution. There are many, many bad ones in this country but there are a few examples of what they could be.

This definitely an interesting thread. I would postulate a kids social skills are determined by the parents. Others have influence but not like the parents. And to say kids are shuttered up and won’t know what to do if they don’t go to school is just ignorant. But also the parents need to be involved. Kids have to learn how to respond. The right way to engage with someone. If the parents don’t, then we get a bunch of kids that think your stupid because your opinion is different. There are many ways and/or places to educate kids. All require participation from parents. All. That is the only way any education system works. And the point of getting educated is to learn how to think for yourself at a higher level. It’s not to get a job.

Can homeschooled kids participate in high school sports?

I would have a hard time saying that my life would be better without experiencing the competition and camaraderie from high school athletics. Same goes for college.

I agree on the homeschooling, I think anyone that is somewhat competent, and with the ability to do it well should, and I think overall these kids are better off.

That being said, I feel like some of you are acting like you have never been in a wal-mart before. Have you interacted with and/or watched some of the people existing in this world that have procreated?

My lady is a kindergarten teacher at a small town country school. In all unbiased honesty, the 30 hours some of these kids spend during a week with her are far better than any time spent at home with their parents could and will ever be. So many parents are absolute terrible human beings and barely able to run their lives. Some of these parents are such failures that public school saves these kids. I'm 100% positive a better system could be developed, as public schools definitely have problems, but most of the far left side of the curve definitely benefit right now. Should all of us care about that? I'm not sure.

Kudos to you Will for doing it right.

starting strength coach development program
    Unfortunately, homeschooling is difficult to manage because a lot of the time, both parents are expected to be working now, and those jobs will suck up a lot of their effort and attention. It's by far the better option in my opinion though. Public schools are kid prisons. Yes, they socialize there. But the social dynamic that forms is very similar to the kind that forms in a real prison. I may be 35, but I remember quite well my lovely public school experience. Elementary school was worthless. I learned at least 75% of what was taught to me there from my parents before I even started school. The other 25% or so would've been easily taught as expanding upon what I'd already learned. Middle and High School I actually ended up going to after a move to an area with higher property values (and thus better funded schools). There was definitely a lot more money and effort put into the curriculum there, but the end result was still this absolutely dysfunctional social environment made even more so by the deranging influences of puberty. The socialization I learned in public school was not to socialize at all, and just avoid people as much as possible. By the time I began first year in a college, I averaged a handful of words spoken aloud per day. It wasn't until after recovering from my public education experience that I began to actually develop social skills. The idiotic culture that manifests in public schools lingers into adult society, you can see it every day. People grow up in this utterly fucked up environment where being inconsiderate and not applying any effort to anything are "cool", and they carry this lack of sensibility into adulthood.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast