starting strength gym
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: High School Deadlift Injury/The Government Schools

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I don't really care how people bring up their children, but my immediate thoughts on homeschooling would be:

1. Isn't a large function of schooling not just education but child-minding? I am assuming most parents need to work to pay the bills, so homeschooling might be a real financial hardship, to the point where it isn't really viable.
    2. Homeschooling is fairly rare, so it seems to me there is a self-selection in going on that makes comparisons with state education not really useful. By this I mean that those parents who homeschool currently are motivated to do so.

A third that I am not listing as I haven't quite formed an opinion on it would be the schools role in a child's welfare, from giving the kid a good meal a day if they aren't getting it at home, to identifying and reporting more serious cases of abuse in the home. Hell, time away from parents might also be a good thing for some children, give them room to breath. Again, i'm not sure about any of these specific points, they are just bouncing around in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Shea Frazier View Post
    In my 11 years of teaching, I have never heard homeschooling mentioned once. Come to think of it, I haven't heard alternative methods of instruction (i.e. homeschooling, Montessori, private, etc.) spoken of in a negative way ever. I'm kind of hurt that my colleagues left me out of their indoctrination sessions. I wonder if we had to sign up for them and just missed the emails...
    Very few parents are qualified to teach their children. Contrary to popular belief, teaching (I'm referring to actually providing children with the tools [both academic and social] that they need to be successful in life.) isn't easy. Sure, there are kids that will learn regardless of the specific situation they are placed in, but those kids would learn just as much in a public school as they would at home. These students are in the top 10%. The rest of the population benefits from rigorous, quality instruction (Rare these days.) provided to them by people that are qualified to do so (Even rarer than rigorous, quality instruction.). In my personal opinion, pushing for homeschooling is a cop out. It's a 'take my ball and go home' mentality. Instead, people (and I mean ALL people...even those without children) need to demand improvement in their local school systems. Better schooling means better post-secondary outcomes for your citizens. Better post-secondary outcomes for your citizens benefits everyone living the in the community (i.e. less reliance on welfare, lowers costs of policing/incarceration, lowers costs of health care, etc.). Can you homeschool your kid? Sure. But you're still going to be paying for/dealing with the end results of a crappy school system for the rest of your life. Why not take the time to improve the school system, and by extension, your entire community?
    You missed the indoctrination training, yet you still seemed to have toed the party line. Funny how that works. Funny how, with ZERO discussion of homeschooling with your coworkers or supervisors, you were able to parrot back the same easily refuted "facts" about homeschooling that EVERY public school teacher I have known accepts as "facts." Funny, indeed.

To address your first point - there is no question whether or not those services are necessary in many cases. If you think otherwise, I don't know what to tell you. To address your second point - I never said anything even remotely close to what you suggest. In my district, parents that homeschool their children cannot access the services provided by the school system. Therefore, in order for children with special needs to access those services in my school district, they must be enrolled in the public school system. That's not my opinion; it's a fact. You might not agree with that, but my point still stands.
    Your point does not stand. Your school district holds parents of students with disabilities hostage; in order to get services (which they've already paid for in taxes) they must enroll their children in public school. The problem is not that parents want to homeschool their children and are therefore not getting their kids the services they need, it is that your district is attempting to force parents to go to public school in order to get those services.

You seem like you have a real problem with the field of education, and I'm sorry to hear that. Not sure what happened to you to make you feel that way, but the majority of people that I work with care about one thing - their students..
    You are correct; I do have a problem with the field of education (at least in regards to public education in our country). My problem is that it costs a fortune and is an abysmal failure. My problem is that educators and administrators all seem to be ok with the State (i.e. people with guns) forcing me to send my kids to their schools which don't seem capable of educating children. I have problems with educators (such as yourself) that have very strong opinions about homeschooling who then attempt to speak authoritatively on the subject when in fact they could not be more wrong. So, yeah, I have a real problem.

You want my kids? MOLON LABE.

Quote Originally Posted by brianhunter View Post
    I don't really care how people bring up their children, but my immediate thoughts on homeschooling would be:

1. Isn't a large function of schooling not just education but child-minding? I am assuming most parents need to work to pay the bills, so homeschooling might be a real financial hardship, to the point where it isn't really viable.
    2. Homeschooling is fairly rare, so it seems to me there is a self-selection in going on that makes comparisons with state education not really useful. By this I mean that those parents who homeschool currently are motivated to do so.

A third that I am not listing as I haven't quite formed an opinion on it would be the schools role in a child's welfare, from giving the kid a good meal a day if they aren't getting it at home, to identifying and reporting more serious cases of abuse in the home. Hell, time away from parents might also be a good thing for some children, give them room to breath. Again, i'm not sure about any of these specific points, they are just bouncing around in my head.
    Such an interesting post, more an indictment of average parents than anything to do with homeschooling. As with our SS program, homeschool ends up as narrowcasting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Such an interesting post, more an indictment of average parents than anything to do with homeschooling. As with our SS program, homeschool ends up as narrowcasting.
    To homeschool means that mom and dad need to make choices about their careers and lifestyle that is in direct opposition to what most see as the American Dream. You have to think for yourself. And be willing to blame yourself if you fail. Which seems pretty American to me.

He's a Brit, and might not understand this. They have a completely different culture these days.

I’d like to know how deadlifting turned into homeschooling. This stuff is just awesome.

My post #7. I do this intentionally from time to time.

This thread is not really about home schooling.

It is about doing whatever you can to minimize the damage caused by our benevolent government's wonderful children's reeducation institutions.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by atw_abn View Post
    You missed the indoctrination training, yet you still seemed to have toed the party line. Funny how that works. Funny how, with ZERO discussion of homeschooling with your coworkers or supervisors, you were able to parrot back the same easily refuted "facts" about homeschooling that EVERY public school teacher I have known accepts as "facts." Funny, indeed.

Your point does not stand. Your school district holds parents of students with disabilities hostage; in order to get services (which they've already paid for in taxes) they must enroll their children in public school. The problem is not that parents want to homeschool their children and are therefore not getting their kids the services they need, it is that your district is attempting to force parents to go to public school in order to get those services.

You are correct; I do have a problem with the field of education (at least in regards to public education in our country). My problem is that it costs a fortune and is an abysmal failure. My problem is that educators and administrators all seem to be ok with the State (i.e. people with guns) forcing me to send my kids to their schools which don't seem capable of educating children. I have problems with educators (such as yourself) that have very strong opinions about homeschooling who then attempt to speak authoritatively on the subject when in fact they could not be more wrong. So, yeah, I have a real problem.

You want my kids? MOLON LABE.
    You must have missed the post where I mentioned that I had reviewed the research and corrected my views as a result. Feel free to peruse it at your leisure.

What has that got to do with the price of tea in China? Nowhere did I say I supported the current policies, in fact, I suggested a major overhaul. My point stands because that’s the reality of the situation here. You asked for one situation where homeschooling wasn’t the better option, so I gave you one. End of story. If you don’t agree, that’s fine.

Who said anything about taking your kids?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast