starting strength gym
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: High School Deadlift Injury/The Government Schools

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Great thread.

I’m a Brit, my wife and I home educate both our kids and it carries with it the same responses it seems to get in ‘merica. A lot of our home ed friends are former teachers who despised the system and didn’t want their kids to be a part of.

Sacrifices have to be made in order to make it work but it’s a sacrifice that is worth it to sleep soundly at night.

Regarding the problem of being adequately qualified to teach, I had always thought that if you leave kids alone they’ll teach themselves what they need in order to facilitate their natural inquisitiveness. Both my children have taught themselves to read. We facilitated this but there were no formal reading lessons. They figured it out.

This meant that they learned a little later than other kids but they learned at their own pace, without pressure or coercion. They also learned the VALUE of being able to read.

Kids will learn. They’re built to do that. A parent is responsible for what the children will learn, regardless of whether or not they send them to a school.

A lot of people don’t like their kids, that’s another taboo and probably why we here in good old Blighty try and ship them off to nursery ASAP so we can get back to work and pay those taxes.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by GorillaGains View Post
    Why do we have to jump to taking our kids out of school like it is an all or nothing game? Why not start by putting some bookshelves in and filling them with things worth reading. Preferably in a place they will see them every day, and early in their life. They will inevitably pull one down and open it in the span of 18 years. Public education curricula are pretty low intensity. Plenty of time to read in those 18 years.

As usual, there is a lot more that could be done to alter the situation at hand before implementing the most radical change.

Bonus points if you let your kids see you read at a young age.
    For one, in the same amount of time I would spend remediation or undoing what they’ve learned at public school, I could just do it right to begin with.

Number two, we agree on the reading thing but I can tell you some kids despise reading and will only do what is mandatory to fulfill requirements. That is true of some highly productive citizens I know as well. It’s a personality thing to an extent.

HOWEVER, if they are interested in something AND have the skill sets to be self directed in their learning...sky is the limit!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789