starting strength gym

Thread: numbness, bruised hand from pressing.

Default numbness, bruised hand from pressing.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey all,
    just a weird question here. I pressed yesterday (172x3x3) and this morning I noticed some numbness on the outside of my right ring finger. A closer inspection showed some slight bruising on the back of my hand in line with the little finger. There's no visible bruising on the hypothenar eminence but it is a little tender.

I'm taking my grip as shown in the book and Nick's video on the subject. It's possible that it is shifting as I unrack but I'm not sure. I have occasionally felt a nerve jolt in that hand when unracking, but didn't yesterday. Anyway, I'm not overly worried about it but I'm wondering if there is a an obvious form issue that I should look for next time I press.

I tried to photograph it but the discoloration is pretty slight and doesn't really come across in the picture.

thanks.

hand.jpg

Sounds like ulnar nerve entrapment, but I don't know whether that can cause any discoloration. According to Wikipedia, it can cause nerve swelling, so maybe.

Did you break that hand some time in the past?

I've never broken my hand. I pressed on Friday (volume day, 145x5x5) and while I didn't really have any issues I did catch myself shifting my grip slightly somewhere past forehead level as I started to fatigue. I'll pay attention to that when I press heavy again because I suspect that could be the source of the problem.

It's most likely soft tissue swelling / edema that is causing the issue. Hand swelling is pretty common in heavy lifters.

Thanks, Will. I'll treat it as such and not worry too much about it.

starting strength coach development program
    Matt, I mean, you are pretty damned strong dude, and I think you are just able to handle weights that your soft tissue just doesn't like right now.