starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bulging disc since December of 2017

Default Bulging disc since December of 2017

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Good afternoon, I will try to make this as brief as possible. I injured my back in December of 2017 and have made no improvements on symptoms or anything (regressed actually). I’ve been following some of starting strength and barbell medicines content as well as pain science. Basically I cannot sit down in a chair for more than 5 minutes without increased symptoms or stand in one spot for very long. This has caused me to quit my job in the last 6 months as well as missing college semesters. At the end of 2017 I deadlifted 600 @140 pounds as a natural lifter with only 1.5 years of powerlifting experience. I get burning and tingling in my lower back that goes down both legs sometimes as well as the symptoms in my upper glutes. My bulge is only minor but I had surgery 10 weeks ago and it did not help me that much at all. Only reason I opted for surgery is because this issue was really negatively impacting my life and still Is. I’ve been back in the gym for 2 weeks but have been really modifying my workouts. If I do happen to do even an hour of sitting in a day and to much standing my back will be like a 7/10 on the pain scale. My goal is to get back to powerlifting but I’ve tried taking 4 months off of the gym while doing mcgill work, modifying exercises, modifying load and many other things. Heck I even did a consult with barbell medicine and 1 month of coaching .

You have an issue that has been going on over two years. You have seen the terminal provider for the disc bulge, and the surgery did not help. That would seem to indicate that the surgery was unnecessary. Having symptoms that go down both legs, and burning and tingling in the back is not indicative of a disc herniation. Bilateral symptoms are much more common in chronic pain syndrome than they are for discal pathology.

You are extremely irritable as you report that you are unable to sit for an hour without severe pain. You've already had a consult with the Barbell Medicine team. You are unlikely to find a group that could get you back into lifting more effectively than them.

From my standpoint, I would highly suggest getting under the care of a Behavioral Health provider. There is certainly a psychosomatic component to this issue, as well as almost certainly a layer of depression or adjustment disorder in here as it relates to the changes in your lifestyle. In this case, a behavioral health provider is the best suited to take over your case from this point.

Hey thanks for the reply will. Is there any advice you would offer to try to get back to school and work? Also I tried smoking marijuana for the issue and it made my symptoms feel way worse with the burning and tingling. I’ve also seen a behavior health provider. One last question what about getting back to powerlifting, do you believe it is still possible at this point?

A

Quote Originally Posted by Shafiq Blake View Post
    Hey thanks for the reply will. Is there any advice you would offer to try to get back to school and work? Also I tried smoking marijuana for the issue and it made my symptoms feel way worse with the burning and tingling. I’ve also seen a behavior health provider. One last question what about getting back to powerlifting, do you believe it is still possible at this point?
    I am in no position to opine on the use of substances such as marijuana for the treatment of pain.

I am also in position to opine on whether something is possible or not. Things are considered impossible until someone is crazy enough to prove that everyone else was wrong.

As far as getting back to school and work, I'm really sorry to be the one to say this, but you are expected to be a functioning member of society. I've treated many grievously wounded servicemembers who returned to all manner of service to our country. I treated Special Mission Unit Operators that rejoined their units after amputations, I've treated a servicemember who after taking 5 AK-47 rounds to her leg and abdomen returned to service and has since been promoted to the highest rank in her career field and was awarded that service's XXXX of the Year Award. I treated someone who lost their leg to a deadly form of cancer and he ended up playing two seasons of high school football as an amputee. I don't think there is necessarily anything more sinister with your situation compared to others, but there might be something to be said about the desire some people have to do the things they wish to do.

Thank you will for taking the time to thoroughly reply I appreciate that. I’ve been back in the gym for 3 weeks trying to do exercises that don’t flare up my pain. I’ve been doing belt squat machine, leg curls, and extensions for lower body. I am gonna try to add rack pulls with 95 pounds and try to go up 10 pounds a week and if my back doesn’t progressively get worse I will leave them in. I honestly may try to switch to bodybuilding if I can. Also I am gonna apply for some jobs in like a month and hopefully I am able to tolerate a standing job

You have to do something. Anything is better than nothing.

From war hero to white coat: A wounded veteran'''s journey to Harvard Medical School - ABC News

Charles Krauthammer completed medical school and was a successful psychiatrist as a quadriplegic.

Quadruple amputee Travis Mills stuns Mike Rowe: 'I'm not a victim' - CNN

Brad Halling had his leg sheared off when an RPG struck his helicopter during the Battle of the Black Sea in October 1993. He later returned to service in a Special Mission Unit, as an operator and not in a support role. He later became one of the leading prosthetists in the country.

Many have come before you, many more will come after you.

Are you ever pain free? If so, what are you doing?

Honestly no never. I took 4 months off the gym at one point to a while ago and didn’t help me at all

starting strength coach development program
    shafiq sorry to hear about this man. a 600 DL at 140 is great! i am no expert, and cannot help you with anything. but i wanted to say i hope things get better for you and that time usually heals (both physically and mentally) so hopefully you get better with time. it appears you have favorable genetics if you were able to DL that amount after only a couple years, so i would guess you have the ability to powerlift at a high level at some point

take care

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast