starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: starr rehab adductor tear

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Dargatz View Post
    I have seen your opinion on this a few times now. I value your professional opinion very highly, thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience here!
    I want to add my personal take, because I believe there is a caveat for your method, at least for some people (like me).

I have had three muscle tears in recent years, two small to medium (pectoralis and adductor) and a large one (adductor, on the other side). I have used the Starr protocol very successfully (fast and complete healing) each time, so my inclination to try a different method is low, even if it might be even better.

The potential problem I see with your method, if I were to try it, that I would not trust myself to pick the correct weight and not re-injure myself. "The highest weight tolerable" for me would be to see how far I can go, which would likely result in going too far. Or, knowing myself, I'd maybe be too cautious and pick a weight too low.
    With 25 reps on the other hand, I can feel if the pain stays the same, increases or decreases during the set. Granted, you need the ability to focus on form for 25 reps, which is the problem with this method. I think I can do that. I can definitely do that better than estimating the correct weight for doubles. I believe you when you say higher weight and lower reps work better, but then I think you (personally) can better judge what weight to use than I or maybe other lifters could. In the absence of a coach, for me training at home, I think the Starr protocol works well and safely.

Hm. Do you think it would make any sense to start with 25 reps as in the Starr protocol, but increase weight faster and decrease reps sooner, sort of a mix between the two methods?
    Hey Alexander,

Will is out of town at the moment so he can't comment on your question but if you have had a lot of success using a version of the Starr Protocol, or in general found a way to manage a specific type of injury, I would change your approach just for the sake of change. We apply this same idea to programming. If something is not broken, don't fix it.

A bit before I said I would check in, but a lot of time on my hands at the moment. BW 150lb. Height 5"7. Age 48. Always been a skinny runt.

Before Injury:

Squat(Safety Squat Bar) 70kg (injury at 71kg)
    Bench Press 51kg
    Press 30kg
    Deadlift 106kg
    Chins 17(6/6/5)

Now:

Remedial Squats 30kg (5 weeks till NLP)
    Bench Press 52kg
    Press 36kg
    Deadlift 100kg
    Chins 23(8/8/7)

My adductor was limiting my deadlift to only 60kg a couple of weeks ago, so it's nice to be able to lift 100kg today and feel confident about it. Pretty much gonna treat it as NLP now ramping up in 2kg steps and should be back at PR's in just over a week. After 2 tweaks to the adductor injury I am now planning another 5 weeks until my Squats get back on track and am not gonna force that.

In other news, Bench Press has now had 3 resets and looking at a 4th if I don't manage my 52.5 kg lifts on Friday(3rd attempt) Is 3 resets time to move on even at that lowly weight? It's hardly moved since last reset. Press which I started later because of my low basement ceiling (ordered a seperate 4ft bar just in time before current shortage) is still moving upwards without any resets, but my form might be out as I'm getting a heck of a lot of neck stiffness from it. Also golfers elbow. (The elbow I think might be from my rough cleaning of the weight into press position).

I'll check in again once I've set a new deadlift PR.

Just an update.

New Deadlift PR of 106.5kg(234lb) x 5 hit today. Was slightly worried going in as I felt my adductor remind me it wasn't quite right whilst walking to the shops yesterday but it was fine. Bar speed was good on deadlift too so should be able to push these on whilst continuing rehabbing adductor. Safety bar squats continue on their slow rehab upward trend. Today was 37.5kg x 12 x 3 touch and go's to a box. Progressing these at 2.5 kg(5.5lb)increments. Although I'm using the safety bar I'm still trying to sit back a bit to engage the adductors.

3 weeks of adductor rehab till I get my squat to 60kg where I aim to progress at 3 sets of 5 again. My right shoulder seems to be improving(maybe cause I'm now overhead pressing), so hopefully by then I'll be able to give getting a straight bar on my back another go.

Just a check in as tomorrow I will be back at 'fives' for my (safety bar) squat. Deadlift is now at 110kg, proceeding slowly in 1kg increments with a new PR each deadlift session without stall and I don't even think about adductor whilst deadlifting. Squat remedials have also proceeded fine with no pain felt, nor any real 'mind' issues about the injury as yet. I expect as I approach my old max I will start getting a wee bit fearful given the two retweaks. It'll help mindwise if the high rep remedials and continued deadlifts have helped and the weight still feels light(ish) as I get to a new PR. Haven't decided yet on how much weight to add each session from now on yet, my next post will be when I hit a new squat PR, could be a week or up to 3 weeks yet dependant. Although things feel good I'm still aware it's only been 5 weeks or so since the last tweak.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick D'Agostino View Post
    Hey Alexander,

Will is out of town at the moment so he can't comment on your question but if you have had a lot of success using a version of the Starr Protocol, or in general found a way to manage a specific type of injury, I would change your approach just for the sake of change. We apply this same idea to programming. If something is not broken, don't fix it.
    Thank you Nick, somehow missed your reply.
    Makes total sense! But in engineering, you don't only fix broken things, you also seek to improve existing systems...

You're welcome!

Today equalled my safety bar squat PR (a low 70 kg).

First good thing is that the adductor tear I cannot feel at all.

Second good thing is that last time I squatted this weight I was grinding them, completely out of breath for a couple of minutes and needing 8-10 minute rests. This time I'm flying through them as heavy but easily achievable lifts, and am ready to go again after a couple of minutes (though I have been taking conservative 5 minute rests). So as a novice it appears all the lower weight high rep stuff ala Starr protocol has actually improved my strength a bit. Deadlft has kept progressing also and I've now just switched them to once per week.

Third good thing is that last time I was squatting this weight I was getting lots of knee soreness. My guess is I wasn't keeping my knees out enough, and now I am.

Bad thing is I've dinged the adductor tendon somehow (on the same right leg). Possibly overstretched it or something whilst concentrating on keeping knees out. So I may be going for a new PR on Monday, or I might be resting it up, depends on how I feel on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnybones View Post
    Today equalled my safety bar squat PR (a low 70 kg).

First good thing is that the adductor tear I cannot feel at all.

Second good thing is that last time I squatted this weight I was grinding them, completely out of breath for a couple of minutes and needing 8-10 minute rests. This time I'm flying through them as heavy but easily achievable lifts, and am ready to go again after a couple of minutes (though I have been taking conservative 5 minute rests). So as a novice it appears all the lower weight high rep stuff ala Starr protocol has actually improved my strength a bit. Deadlft has kept progressing also and I've now just switched them to once per week.

Third good thing is that last time I was squatting this weight I was getting lots of knee soreness. My guess is I wasn't keeping my knees out enough, and now I am.

Bad thing is I've dinged the adductor tendon somehow (on the same right leg). Possibly overstretched it or something whilst concentrating on keeping knees out. So I may be going for a new PR on Monday, or I might be resting it up, depends on how I feel on the day.

Well I made a mistake. Warming up I could feel the groin, but nothing pulling. So on to my new PR weight. First rep I felt the adductor tendon area pull/strain. So after resting it up for a couple of days I'm going to be concentrating on lower weight higher rep stuff again.

It is a completely different injury. The muscle belly tear before I could feel right in the centre of the muscle, and was very debilatating. This is right in the top of the groin and feels like an overstretch.

starting strength coach development program
    Having a plan to get back on track is the important thing. While you can influence it, you can not precisely control how you will adapt to stress. The good news though, is you can control how you respond to what happens. It looks like you are learning how to control how you respond.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12