starting strength gym

Thread: Scapula hurt during press

Default Scapula hurt during press

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    On the last day of my fourth week. Started with 45 kg and yesterday attempted 58 kg. On the fourth rep of my first set I got a sharp pain in my left scapula located in my back near the spine, but I finished the rep. Afterwards any shoulder movement hurt as well as sleeping on it. I have to sleep on my side to prevent snoring. It feels a bit better this morning. I don't want to stop training. Scapula also has extreme discomfort while squatting since the first day. I believe this unilateral injury is from arm wrestling left handed only (right elbow was injured) the last 2 years. I also found a few months ago that I could dumbell press significantly more with my right arm than my left. I am 36 and my best press was 200 pounds 16 years ago. I'd like to get back to training as soon as possible with whatever exercises and weights I can manage.

Hey Raw Power,

I would take 48-72 hours off of pressing. Start back light and do a bunch of warmup sets with 20 kilos for 5-10 reps. If things are feeling better as you get warm, add 5 kilos and do another a set of 5. Keep repeating this process until you find a weight that's moderate and feels tolerable for the injury and stop there. That is the number you are going to start a linear progression from your next session. Depending on how you are recovering, take 2.5-5 kilo jumps per session until you are back around the 58 kg area and then start taking smaller jumps. Hope this helps!

Thanks Nick. I'll give this method a shot. I actually did attempt pressing 57.5 kg on Wednesday (5 days after injury), and I felt no pain in my left shoulder. However I failed again on the 5th rep, this time due to tendonitis in my right elbow, which I got from arm wrestling. I'll press again either tomorrow or monday and try your method of working up to a tolerable working weight.

Oddly my bench and other lifts have not been affected and continue to progress after each injury.

Excellent, keep training the other lifts as you are and implement rehab on the press.

I have to confess I went too far today. I warmed up with 20, 40, then 50 kg. It all felt so easy I went straight for 60.5 kg. And that was so easy I added an extra rep on the last set. I'm surprised I recovered so quickly. After my injury I switched to a vegan diet with no grains or legumes, because that always helps me greatly reduce inflammation. So that may have helped.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm glad you're feeling better! I would not attribute the change specifically to your diet or to lack of inflammation. If these things did play a role, it was probably a small one, with the most significant contributor being time passing. Sometimes these types of situations just clean themselves up over the course of a couple of days/weeks and don't need specific intervention.