starting strength gym

Thread: Torn vastus lateralis

Default Torn vastus lateralis

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm an Active Duty Marine Infantryman. I torn my quad a week before X-mas this year on the first work set of Squats (280#) and have been seeing orthopedic and just recently (Navy Medicine) started Physical Therapy. I restarted my LP about a week ago and I am back up to 135# on Squat. But my knee is killing me after squatting and going up stairs is murder. PT has me doing bands and one legged squats on a 1" box to touch my heel to the ground. Last session they had me squat down to the exam table (about 6") I squatted to depth for 3 sets of 5 at 125# the day before so I don't see how this stuff is helping. Other than PT and LP is there anything I can do about the knee pain?

They have given me Motrin for the pain and a topical cream but it does nothing and I don't want to be popping pills all the time.

If the pills are not working, I would stop taking them. Rehab is going to be painful, but it should not be debilitating. If the pain is debilitating, you are probably progressing too fast. I would slow things down by taking some load off the bar (like 20ish pounds) and decreasing the rate of progression. If you are progressing 3x/week, drop it to 2x/week. If you are deadlifting in the same session as squats, start alternating them each session. As you start getting stronger and are no longer experiencing debilitating pain after the session you can increase the rate of progression again. If PT was having you squat 6 inches when the day before you squatted 125x5x3, then it is probably not helping in driving an adaptation to make you better.

Thanks for the advice. I did stop taking the Motrin and the pain is not that bad anymore. I got a pair of cheap knee sleeves and that helped so I think I'm going to invest in a pair of Rehband's. I didn't drop the progression as I just saw the reply (sorry) but I'm at 165# for squat and 305# for deadlift now, and its not sore after just a little irritating. Stairs still suck but not so bad.

As an aside I just finished the coach prep course section on functional training yesterday; today PT had me squat on a Bosu ball so yeah I don't think its helping.

lol I'm glad things are moving in the right direction Ben!

So I have been continuing LP as best I can with COVID-19 shutting everything down and yesterday I squatted 3X5X200# and deadlifted 1X5X345# and my right knee has been screaming ever since. Painful to extent the knee even in bed lying on my side. the pain is just above the lateral tibial condyle and below the patella. Also the right side of the patella is painful to the touch. Any idea how to reduce the pain/fix the problem?

Medical says I have some osteoarthritis in my knee, but before this injury it has never bothered me. I'm only 37. Going to medical in about an hour to get checked out. Anything I should ask or listen for?

starting strength coach development program
    BLUF: would you recommend a HA or PRP joint injection

Knee pain continues. I got an MRI and the results were as follows:

FINDINGS:

ACL: Intact PCL: Intact. MEDIAL SUPPORTING LIGAMENTS: Intact. LATERAL SUPPORTING LIGAMENTS: Intact. Mild edema is seen along the medial aspect of the distal iliotibial band adjacent to the lateral femoral condyle.

MEDIAL MENISCUS: Intact. LATERAL MENISCUS: Intact.

EXTENSOR MECHANISM: Mild heterogeneous attenuated signal foci seen in the proximal and distal patellar tendon, consistent with tendinosis. No tear identified in the distal quadriceps or patellar tendon. No retinacular tear is seen.

CARTILAGE: Patellofemoral compartment: Partial-thickness fissuring to the patellar cartilage along the lateral facet. Mild osteophytosis is noted. Medial compartment: Intact. Lateral compartment: Intact.

BONE MARROW: Normal in signal. Alignment is normal as well.

SOFT TISSUES: Mild knee joint effusion is present. Baker's cyst is seen, measuring up to 14 mm. Remaining soft tissues are unremarkable.

IMPRESSION:

Mild patellar tendinosis.

Partial-thickness fissuring to the patellar cartilage along the lateral facet with mild degenerative changes.

Mild edema along the medial aspect of the distal iliotibial band, which can be seen with IT band syndrome.

The SPorts MEd Dr. thinks the Partial-thickness fissuring of the cartilage is the cause of pain and wants to do an HA joint injection. I asked if there were other options and he said PRP was also an option.