starting strength gym

Thread: Osteoarthritis in my knee

Default Osteoarthritis in my knee

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am a 53 year old male. I have been training for about 9 months. Have a little arthritis in my left knee. It flared up this week and had a cortisone shot so I could I could put weight on it. Doctor said that pain should be the indicator of when to start lifting again. Anything I should do to modify to when in start back up next Monday?

I would just start back conservatively with volume and load for the first couple of weeks.

Thank you, appreciate the info. Looking forward to getting back under the best

I am 71 and also have knee OA. Something I try to do everyday, and seems to help is this: with body weight only assume a deep squat position (peasant squat, hams to calves) and hold it for about 30 seconds. Then stand up leading with the hips. I don't know why this helps but my conjecture is that it somehow stimulates or forces synovial fluid into the joint. By the way, this also helps with lumbar back pain. Of course I am not a doctor and have done no clinical trials.

Doing general activity and moving around through large ranges of motions is good and for some, I'm sure holding a deep squat would help them feel better. For others, especially people with high body weights or are sensitive to that position of deep knee flexion it may be troublesome. Another option that seems to accomplish a similar effect for many people is going for three 10 minute walks a day.

Quote Originally Posted by mlc7375 View Post
    I am a 53 year old male. I have been training for about 9 months. Have a little arthritis in my left knee. It flared up this week and had a cortisone shot so I could I could put weight on it. Doctor said that pain should be the indicator of when to start lifting again. Anything I should do to modify to when in start back up next Monday?
    Do you know what compartment of the knee the osteoarthritis is in?

starting strength coach development program
    I don't know but I can ask my doctor.