starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ringing in one ear only mid squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Crutchley View Post
    Unfortunately it seems to be the new normal for me at least. MRI came back clean so the ENT feels that it is due to the slight hearing loss in that ear.

Did you see an ENT regarding yours?
    I'm dealing with something similar. In my case, it's on the side where my jaw has been popping since I've been having orthodontia work and recently as my bite is being adjusted. I have had mild tinnitus for years after doing live sound in my 20s, even with hearing protection, but recently it's flared up noticeably. The jaw popping is aggravating and can make my face ache if I hit it in the right/wrong way. I need to talk to my dentist about it after reminding him that my jaw is still popping. Just spitballing here. Do you grind your teeth/have TMJ?

Since this initial post, my tinnitus has gotten worse (initially it was due to a misspent youth at rock concerts plus normal aging, recently worsened by a necessary medication).

I have therefore paid more attention to it, and have noticed the following: my tinnitus (ringing) waxes and wanes mostly unpredictably, sometimes after heavy lifts. During the lift itself I generally don’t notice it. There is a second phenomenon of sound distortion (sounds kind of like a flange effect pedal) that happens during some heavy squats or deadlifts. I attribute that to changes in intracranial pressure. It goes away quickly after the lift.

I don’t worry about either of them. If they were worsening, painful, or were accompanied by other symptoms, I’d try to chase them down and rule out the bad stuff with MRI etc. But that’s not the case for me so far.

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    Since this initial post, my tinnitus has gotten worse (initially it was due to a misspent youth at rock concerts plus normal aging, recently worsened by a necessary medication).

I have therefore paid more attention to it, and have noticed the following: my tinnitus (ringing) waxes and wanes mostly unpredictably, sometimes after heavy lifts. During the lift itself I generally don’t notice it. There is a second phenomenon of sound distortion (sounds kind of like a flange effect pedal) that happens during some heavy squats or deadlifts. I attribute that to changes in intracranial pressure. It goes away quickly after the lift.

I don’t worry about either of them. If they were worsening, painful, or were accompanied by other symptoms, I’d try to chase them down and rule out the bad stuff with MRI etc. But that’s not the case for me so far.
    I’ve noticed the almost the exact same thing. Waxes wanes from almost not noticeable to a fairly loud ring and the sound distortion. Sometimes after heavy lifts other times after caffeine or alcohol ingestion and other times it’s while listening to music in the car. I’m taking the same approach where if it gets worse or becomes painful I’ll seek out a second opinion from another ENT. Out of cursorily, did you get a hearing test?

Yes I have. Slight hearing loss in that ear. Going for an MRI due to it being on one side. Sometimes I feel like it goes in my right, normally immediately after waking up. It is annoying, just don't want to make it worse if its from the lifting. Thanks for the reply. Hope all is well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericgunner198 View Post
    Yes I have. Slight hearing loss in that ear. Going for an MRI due to it being on one side. Sometimes I feel like it goes in my right, normally immediately after waking up. It is annoying, just don't want to make it worse if its from the lifting. Thanks for the reply. Hope all is well.
    You’re welcome. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Crutchley View Post
    I’ve noticed the almost the exact same thing. Waxes wanes from almost not noticeable to a fairly loud ring and the sound distortion. Sometimes after heavy lifts other times after caffeine or alcohol ingestion and other times it’s while listening to music in the car. I’m taking the same approach where if it gets worse or becomes painful I’ll seek out a second opinion from another ENT. Out of cursorily, did you get a hearing test?
    I had a hearing test when I had mild tinnitus, it showed some high-frequency hearing loss, mild-moderate if I recall correctly. I have not had it retested since my tinnitus has worsened. My hearing is currently only a problem in conversation when in noisy places. I don't expect it to worsen, but if it does I'll probably go back for a followup test. Unless I'm convinced that hearing aids would be helpful, I will put off re-testing. I don't think it's that bad yet. I'm sure my wife will let me know when it is.

starting strength coach development program
    Well all came back well on MRI. They just said its high frequency hearing loss on my left side. Hopefully getting back into lifting doesn't make it worse. I'm starting to get use to it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123