starting strength gym

Thread: Abdominal Muscle Injury

Default Abdominal Muscle Injury

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello, I'm a 44 year old male and am running three day Texas Method. This past Tuesday was my press volume day. (six sets of four at 167.5 pounds). My abs are generally pretty fatigued after press volume day, which generally isn't a problem. However, last night I was sitting on the floor of my living room and while boosting myself off the floor I experienced what I can only describe as a "charley horse" type sensation on the right side of my abdomen. The abdominal muscle felt as though it had seized up, leading to pretty intense pain that lasted for about a minute. When the muscle finally relaxed, I was sweating and felt a bit nauseous but both of these sensations quickly passed.

Now that the intense pain has subsided I am left with soreness and some discomfort on the right side of my abdomen. Today was my recovery day workout so the weights were fairly light. I experienced some moderate pain/discomfort when I had to tighten my core for the squat and bench press. Chins were somewhat painful but nothing I could not work through. I was able to complete all sets.

I could be wrong but I assume this is a muscle strain of some sort. I am going to proceed under the assumption that this is something that I can work through with some discomfort and that the injury will eventually just heal on its own. Am I correct in this assumption (assuming it is a strain of some sort)? I am a little concerned about how this injury will affect me on Saturday when I attempt to hit a new press PR (five singles at 185 pounds), given how taxing the exercise is on my core. I am going to give it a try and see how it goes unless advised otherwise.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Brent,

What you are experiencing is a muscle spasm, described by the fact that it only lasted a minute or so, right after your training and proceeded by soreness. I would continue to train as you normally do.

Recommendations:
    -make sure your warming up appropriately, enough to warm and practice the lift but not to cause fatigue.
    - hydrate
    - focus on not only squeezing the abs but the thighs as well, while planting your feet firmly into the ground
    - some gentle stretching before hand

Good luck

Thanks Chris. The area has gotten progressively less sore and I was able to hit my heavy (for me) press singles today. In retrospect I probably overreacted a bit, but the spasm was pretty damn painful and the lingering soreness had me a little concerned. I will take your advice to heart to avoid a similar issue in the future.

copy, good luck