starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ringing in one ear only mid squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Crutchley View Post
    Follow up question Nockian,, Dr JFSullly or anyone else that has mild hearing loss or Tinnitus: Do you notice any specific pitches are distorted like a blown speaker kind of distortion? Since my issue stated, in the ringing ear when I listen to music or when I talk I notice some pitches of voice or notes sound distorted like it’s coming from a blown speaker.
    I occasionally get that during a heavy squat, but it resolves immediately. I mostly don’t notice it anymore, as during a heavy squat I am focused on hitting depth, keeping back straight, and re-evaluating every decision in my life that led to me trying to do a heavy squat.

So are you saying that this happens at other times, not just during lifts? Do you have a feeling of fullness in one or both ears? Might be a variant of Ménière’s disease, I haven’t heard of Menieres without vertigo, but maybe that happens. Your ENT should know.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Crutchley View Post
    Follow up question Nockian,, Dr JFSullly or anyone else that has mild hearing loss or Tinnitus: Do you notice any specific pitches are distorted like a blown speaker kind of distortion? Since my issue stated, in the ringing ear when I listen to music or when I talk I notice some pitches of voice or notes sound distorted like it’s coming from a blown speaker.
    Not that I'm aware of. It just bands out the frequencies where the ringing is. Distortion happens when I get a wax build up, but I think you had that checked. The only other time I had distortions was when I blew out an eardrum during a dive. I've been treated for Meniers disease and that doesn't have that distortions component. Curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Not that I'm aware of. It just bands out the frequencies where the ringing is. Distortion happens when I get a wax build up, but I think you had that checked. The only other time I had distortions was when I blew out an eardrum during a dive. I've been treated for Meniers disease and that doesn't have that distortions component. Curious.
    Classic Meniere's symptoms would be a "rushing" sound, feeling of fullness, and vertigo. That "rushing" sound could manifest as a distortion, maybe, hard to know based on a forum post what the OP is experiencing exactly, but what OP describes is definitely not classic Meniere's. The good thing about Meniere's, as compared to garden variety tinnitus, is that it is usually treatable.

Bottom line, if the MRI and other evals clear you of major structural problems, and training only exacerbates the symptoms transiently, it is probably safe to train. If the symptoms are happening outside of training, and somehow training is worsening them over time (this would be hard to prove, and also would be very uncommon), you have to make a decision about the tolerability of the symptoms and your priorities.

I have occasional tinnitus in the right ear, but I haven't associated it with any trigger event. I've found that a finger massage/stretching outside the ear canal makes it go away.

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    I occasionally get that during a heavy squat, but it resolves immediately. I mostly don’t notice it anymore, as during a heavy squat I am focused on hitting depth, keeping back straight, and re-evaluating every decision in my life that led to me trying to do a heavy squat.

So are you saying that this happens at other times, not just during lifts? Do you have a feeling of fullness in one or both ears? Might be a variant of Ménière’s disease, I haven’t heard of Menieres without vertigo, but maybe that happens. Your ENT should know.
    Since the ringing started in that one ear I have noticed the slight distortion with high pitches consistently. Does not get worse with training but hasn’t improved either. No vertigo or balance issues at all. Maybe occasionally that ear feels like there is more pressure in there but it passes pretty quickly. Talking to the ENT tomorrow still waiting on MRI. Probably gonna be a couple weeks with everything going on right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Yep they checked for wax build up and all good there. Eardrum was fine too. The distortion is the most annoying part. I can deal with the ringing but having a song sound weird in one ear is a bummer.

Classic Meniere's symptoms would be a "rushing" sound, feeling of fullness, and vertigo. That "rushing" sound could manifest as a distortion, maybe, hard to know based on a forum post what the OP is experiencing exactly, but what OP describes is definitely not classic Meniere's. The good thing about Meniere's, as compared to garden variety tinnitus, is that it is usually treatable.

Bottom line, if the MRI and other evals clear you of major structural problems, and training only exacerbates the symptoms transiently, it is probably safe to train. If the symptoms are happening outside of training, and somehow training is worsening them over time (this would be hard to prove, and also would be very uncommon), you have to make a decision about the tolerability of the symptoms and your priorities.
    Thanks Doc! Training has not made the issue any worse since it appeared so I’ve continued training as programmed. Will keep you posted with any updates on condition or diagnosis.

I just can't remember Meniers causing distortion at any point-that was the doctors diagnosis. I definitely had vertigo and still get the rushing sound on occasions - I would describe it more as wooshing than rushing. I was given tablets for it, but after taking a packet, I stopped.

So did that tinitis resolve itself? I've also developed it in one ear, but it wasn't suddenly while working out. Had it three weeks now.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericgunner198 View Post
    So did that tinitis resolve itself? I've also developed it in one ear, but it wasn't suddenly while working out. Had it three weeks now.
    Unfortunately it seems to be the new normal for me at least. MRI came back clean so the ENT feels that it is due to the slight hearing loss in that ear.

Did you see an ENT regarding yours?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast