starting strength gym

Thread: Knee pain in high bar squat

Default Knee pain in high bar squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I switched to high bar squats last week to let the open sores on my scapula heal. My low bar squat was up to 135 kg, so I started high bar with 80 kg and added 10 kg each workout. Today was doing 110 kg and I felt a slight pain in my right knee, right at parallel depth. I completed all 3 sets of 5 because it didn't seem too bad. However now I'm home and it hurts just to stand up off the couch. Friday I was planning to do 120 kg, and also go for a big PR on deadlift, but I'm not sure if I should risk it. Thing is, every gym in the country is closing next week so this may be my last chance to set any PRs for a long while. I don't mind a little inflammation and pain/soreness. I just don't want to risk a complete tear.

I would take one extra day off, next session do 105x5x3, decrease the jumps to 2.5-5 kilos, and go for your deadlift PR first before you squat. Also get your form checked in the technique sub forum.

Thanks coach. Gym was closed today, 20 minutes before I got there. So I did pistol squats instead. Alarmingly I got 7 reps with the left leg but could only squeeze out 3 on the right, despite not feeling any pain. Maybe I can use this hiatus to correct the imbalance with unilateral movements.

You're welcome. If you are having knee pain I would be gentle with the pistols. Fatigue, like pain, is a protective response meant to adjust our behaviors so I wouldn't about an actual imbalance. Next time you squat take a video from the posterior view and post it in the technique forum.