starting strength gym

Thread: Help with programming

Default Help with programming

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi

I hope to get some advice from Mark Rippetoe or someone about programming.

I’ve been training SS and Texas Method (2017) since 2012. I’m 46 and weigh around 200lbs. I live in Sweden, I hope it’s somewhat understandable as english is not my native tongue. Also, we don’t have any SSC in Sweden.

Currently (PRs)
    Squat 1x429 (2x451)
    Deadlift 1x407 (1x424)
    Bench 1x203 (2x209)
    Press 1x137 (1x154)
    Barbell row 1x242 (1x292)

I’m doing Texas Method, weights as ”currently” and as in Texas Method.

Sunday
    Squat 3x5
    Bench/Press 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

Tuesday
    Squat 2x5
    Press/Bench 3x5
    Barbell row 3x2 / 2x3 / 1x5
    Chins

Thursday
    Squat 3x2 / 2x3 / 1x5
    Bench/Press 3x2 / 2x3 / 1x5
    Deadlift 3x2 / 2x3 / 1x5

So, my dilemma. I have cystic fibrosis, a chronical disease, it mostly effects the lungs, but other parts as well. I’m always feeling ”sick” and bloodtests shows constatly inflammation/infection. As you have the flu and/or pneumonia all the time. I am prescribed painkillers to ease this. As of now I’m waiting to change medication, cuz this one feels like I’m not on any medication at all. Thus feeling pretty sick all the time. I really can’t manage 3 times per week, it just takes to long.

I’m wondering if I could ”spread” the training over more days? Say 4-5 days, to get each session done as quickly as possible.

To something like this.

Week 1
    1 Squat volume
    2 Bench volume / Barbell row
    3 Deadlift 1x5 / chins
    4 Bench intensity / Press ”resting” or volume
    5 Squat intensity

Week 2
    1 Deadlift 1x5
    2 Bench resting or volume / Press volume
    3 Squat volume / Barbell row
    4 Press intensity / Chins
    5 Deadlift intensity

Instead of 3 times per week, spread it out to 5 times per week. Or is it totally insane?

I also would like to state that I’m used to train being sick and feeling sick. So that’s my responsibility, not someone elses. I will train regardless of what healthcare professionals say. Mostly they say don’t train when you are or feeling sick. Well then I would never be able to train. I can also say since I started SS I’m more healthy (obviously) than before. Longer time between sickness than before. I could have pneumonia like 4-6 times per year before SS.

All the medications, breathing techniques and ”tools” the doctors want me to use, doesn’t stand a chance against heavy barbell training. Really. That’s just me. It works for me. I don’t say it would work for someone else in my situation. My lungs are better now with training and 1 medication, in comparison with before, a lot of medications and ”ordinary” training. It’s verified with procedures and techniques that measures which condition your lungs and body currently are in.

But Corona fucks it up. My doctor doesn’t want to change pain medication as long as the Corona pandemic is ongoing.

I personally find that I make progress on a lift even 12-14 days between sessions, it's just slow. I use something like 5-3-1, not the Texas method, so I'm not sure how that would work.

You have done an extraordinarily good job and if you ever find time should write up your experience as an article for the site. This is not stupid and in fact would probably be my suggestion if you had not suggested it. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes! Also when things get stale I would take Dust Devils suggestion to switch to weekly rotating of the reps. Something like 5/3/1 or 8/5/2. Lastly I would get your squat form checked in the technique forum, there is a chance you may be a few centimeters high.

Thanks

Nick, you, probably right. More than once I’ve deloaded cuz form was an issue. A little bit too high. Then I reset and start over with a lower weight. I really ”chased” weight increasment before (still do), but I’m way more careful with technique.

Yes, 5/3/1 is a good option when I’m feeling better. Just a lot of assistance exerscises. I train at home, I have one barbell (Eleiko competition), a power rack and a bench.

I had to reach really really deep inside today, to be able to man up, and did a session of deadlift. Quite surprised as I still worked up to a single 407lbs, after a week off.

You do not need to follow 5/3/1 as explained in the book with the assistance exercises. You can use the rotating reps scheme in to the layout you already have as an intensity day and do something similar to what you are doing now as volume day but progressing number of sets each week (going from 3 sets to 5 sets over the course of the 3 week cycle) while keeping the weight the same.

Nick, I will probably try something like that when I’ve changed medication and feeling better. As of now, I really have to brace myself, more mentally than physically, to train a little each day. See how it goes. Thanks again!

starting strength coach development program
    Do what you can to stay consistent Thomas and stay safe! You are an inspiration man!