starting strength gym

Thread: Glute pain

Default Glute pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Firstly, I’m 19 M and weigh 175lb
    Ive been doing the program for about two months and have made some good progress. As the weight has gone up, I have been experiencing glute pain during the lockout of both my squats and deadlifts. It seems like the pain disappears right as I take tension off my gluteus and doesn’t bother me at all after my set. Are the muscles just not able to recover quick enough? I’m believe I’m consuming the right amount of calories/protein to ensure recovery. I’m afraid that if I keep ramping up the weight without fixing this issue I might get injured.

Also, I’ve had my squat form checked on this forum so I don’t think it’s a crazy form issue.

Should I take a week or two off from squat/dl to see if my glutes can recover? Thanks for the help and I appreciate any advice given. Thanks.

How tall are you? How much weight are you lifting on SQ and DL? Are you an athlete or regular dude? How many hours of sleep are you getting each night?

I'm 5'11 and currently at 240lb for both squat and deadlift. Not an athlete and getting 8-9 hours of sleep per night.

Today before my squat and dl sets I foam rolled the area where the pain was coming from and was surprised to find that I didn't notice the pain at all. I guess my glutes are just really tight? That would make sense considering I have a pretty sedentary lifestyle. I think the plan is to foam roll before and after training until further notice and hopefully, that will completely solve the issue. Thanks for taking the time to consider my situation. If you have any other helping insight to share I'd appreciate it. Thanks, Nick.

This is great new Jackson! Keep using that strategy for now. I think you are also probably getting to the point where you need to start making changes to switch to intermediate programming and weekly progressions. When things start to get very hard, start to make changes to your program. Weekly progressions will help manage the overall fatigue, which probably has something to do with the glute pain that emerged. Also, if you are not already, I would track your protein for a few days and see if you are getting close to the 1 gram/lb of BW. My guess is you probably need to up the dose of protein.