starting strength gym

Thread: IT Band Failed Rehab - Follow-up

Default IT Band Failed Rehab - Follow-up

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I started at 270x5x3 for the squat and 320x5x1 for the deadlift. I had already taken a week off and began at 270 prior to your (Nick's) advice. I figured 270 was appropriate although I started at that same weight for my first attempt at rehab. I figured that this weight was appropriate because I took 10 lb jumps this time, smaller jumps than before. After squatting 340x5x3 and 390x5x1, I have the same pain in my right IT band with the same severity as before. In light of this, what measures should I take now? It has never felt painful during a work set this time around, but the same discomfort has occurred after my last session at 340x5x3 for the squat that I can guess that it will br painful during my next session. Since I hurt it originally, it has always made my IT band uncomfortable to sit in a desk chair with my legs bent, so I have minimized the amount of time I am doing that. I am posting videos of my last set of my 340x5x3 squat and my 390x5x1 deadlift below. I think that my form is pretty good and the issue I am having is not caused by bad form. What can you tell me?
    YouTube
    YouTube
    Thanks for your time,
    Jack Morrison

Hey Jack, sorry to hear this is still bothering you man. You probably need to slow the progression up to 10lbs a week. Is there any weight that you can squat or deadlift that isn't painful or where it is minor? That weight probably should be your entry point (this may be less than where you started two weeks ago). I also want to set the expectation here that it takes time for this type of issue to dissipate for most people (9-12 weeks). I was looking at my last post, and most of the exchange happened between the 18th-19th. Looking at the numbers here, you put 70lbs on your squat in about two weeks, which is a rapid rise in workload. If your new start back weight is between 250-270, switch to 5lb jumps 2x/week, it should take you 8-10 weeks to get back up to 340 range. That is probably a more realistic time frame for significant improvements in this type of injury. If you need more guidance than this general advice you are probably getting into the consult area. If you are interested in doing something like that you can reach out to me here:Emerge Stronger

Hope this helps man,

Nick

Thanks for your advice, I just have one more question for now. Would you recommend a layoff before I start any of this?

Take two extra rest days. Also, technique-wise you are doing well. You are shifting back a tiny bit during the squat ascent, but this is not a significant problem. I would focus on keeping the front of your shoe pressing into the floor during the ascent. I would also try tweaking your toe angle and seeing if it has any effect on your pain on both SQ and DL. Deadlift is looking good. I would advise giving a 3-inch belt a shot and seeing how it feels as you continue to progress. Goodluck!

Sorry that this contradicts what I said before, but I have a question about my deadlift given that the video I posted above will have been my last experience with heavy pulls for a while. Is my set up acceptable? I posted this video on the technique forum before I realized I wouldn't be able to progress due to my injury. Pete Troupos said that I should straighten my back as I am getting the slack out if the bar instead of the two distinct steps I did. Do you think that what I did is fine or should I take care to remedy what I did? Also, is my back rounding significantly enough to show that I am not getting all the slack out of the bar?

Thanks,

Jack Morrison

starting strength coach development program
    Hey Jack,

What Pete said will save you a little bit of energy, but it is in no way contributing to your ITB pain. Your setup is perfectly acceptable. You are 95% the way there, and Pete's tip is going to help you squeeze out another 2-3% efficiency. It is up to you whether you want to implement the advice but be reassured that you have no "red flags" in your current technique. If I walked into a random gym and saw someone lifting like you are it would make me happy

Hope that helps,

Nick