starting strength gym

Thread: Meds don’t work!!

Default Meds don’t work!!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    What medication did Rippetoe say takes that works for pain? Opiates don’t work on my fiancé and I remember Ripp talking about having the same problem in a YouTube video, but I can’t find the video. He doesn’t need it at the moment, but I want to know what to ask for if one day he dose need it.

The other Dr. Sullivan recommends the combination of acetaminophen and ibuprofen. I also have found this very effective. There are cautions with both drugs, and safe dose limits, but most people can use them safely.

Thanks for the response.
    He can’t take ibuprofen and acetaminophen doesn’t help. Honestly almost nothing seems to work for him. When he was getting work done at the dentist they turned the gas up as high as they were allowed to and he couldn’t really feel much of a difference. When he had his first heart attack they gave him a lot of morphine, but it did nothing for the pain (all he noticed was his mouth got dry and his back started hurting).
    I remember Rip saying nothing worked for his pain except for alcohol and something else. It is the something else I’m looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishsavvy View Post
    Thanks for the response.
    He can’t take ibuprofen and acetaminophen doesn’t help. Honestly almost nothing seems to work for him. When he was getting work done at the dentist they turned the gas up as high as they were allowed to and he couldn’t really feel much of a difference. When he had his first heart attack they gave him a lot of morphine, but it did nothing for the pain (all he noticed was his mouth got dry and his back started hurting).
    I remember Rip saying nothing worked for his pain except for alcohol and something else. It is the something else I’m looking for.
    Tordol?

Quote Originally Posted by Gbraddock View Post
    Tordol?
    Depending on the reason he can’t take ibuprofen, toradol is likely off the table as well.

I remember the video/podcast you mention, where Rip discussed, but I can’t remember what he said about what if anything does work for him as a viable opiate alternative for serious pain.

Maybe... sounds right. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    Depending on the reason he can’t take ibuprofen, toradol is likely off the table as well.

I remember the video/podcast you mention, where Rip discussed, but I can’t remember what he said about what if anything does work for him as a viable opiate alternative for serious pain.
    Yeah I was mainly addressing what med he mentioned in the podcast. I think he said Toradol

Toradol is great, but not for home use. It’s by prescription, I think it has an oral form but I’ve only ever seen it given by injection. And like all NSAIDs can wreck your stomach and if overused can box your kidneys.

It’s basically a super-ibuprofen.

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    Toradol is great, but not for home use. It’s by prescription, I think it has an oral form but I’ve only ever seen it given by injection. And like all NSAIDs can wreck your stomach and if overused can box your kidneys.

It’s basically a super-ibuprofen.
    It does have an oral. I have used it post op for shoulder and knee surgery. Ketorolac 10mg pills and cant take more than 10 days according to label.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the comments. He isn’t in pain now. I just wanted to know in case, heaven forbid, something did happen. That way we would know what to ask for. Just trying to be prepared. Thank y’all again!