starting strength gym

Thread: Odd pinching/burning in lower-mid back during squat

Default Odd pinching/burning in lower-mid back during squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

Currently on week 7 of NLP. Male, 36 years old, 6'3", 260lbs.

Squat: 135->285
    Bench: 95->180
    Press: 95->155
    Deadlift: 135->315

Nutrition:
    Eggs/bacon/fruit/milk for breakfast
    Skyr (yogurt)/fruit/almonds for snacks
    Leftovers for lunch
    Dinner is a rotation of pot roast, steak & potatoes & veggies, pork & sweet potatoes & veggies, chicken & rice & veggies, a ground beef meal (burgers, sloppy joes, tacos) and beans, and then pizza or pasta on Friday
    About ~24oz. milk daily

Supplements:
    Vitamin D & multivitamin
    BCAAs
    Creatine
    Psyllium husk powder
    Whey (20g protein)

So on my last workout, on the first rep of my last set of squats as I was coming up from the bottom I felt a really sharp pinch/burn (almost electric) in my lower/mid back. I managed to get the weight up, racked it, and then walked it off. I had a very strange tingling sensation in my glutes/hamstrings. I've had some lower back injuries in the past (nothing serious, just a history of strains/tweaks due to lack of strength) so I was immediately concerned. However, after walking around, jumping, doing some bodyweight squats, pushups, etc., I didn't notice any pain or discomfort. So I unloaded the bar and went back through my warmup sets ... no pain or issues. Got back to my work weight, first rep, and I feel the same sharp pinch/burn coming up out of the bottom of the squat and the same tingling sensation in my glutes/hamstrings as I walked it off.

Weird note here: I observed the second time that the pain came from exactly where the top of my belt sits.

So I went through the whole process again, bodyweight movements, warmup sets, back to the working weight. But this time I loosened my belt by one notch (I had tightened it one notch more than normal that day) and really really focused on keeping my core tight and back neutral (although I already focus on that pretty hard given my history of lower back strains). This time, no problems. Finished the 5 reps and then did my bench and deadlift sets with no problems.

However, the pain/sensation was really strong and really bizarre, so I've got some lingering concerns.

Is this something anyone has experienced before? Could it have been my belt pressing into a nerve or something due to being too tight? Sometime related to bad form?

I would not worry about this. From your description, and I may be interesting this wrong, you were able to do your work sets after making your belt a notch looser? Your use of the word "electrical" makes me think this was nerve related but most probably a superficial sensory nerve that got pissed for a minute with how your belt was impinging on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick D'Agostino View Post
    I would not worry about this. From your description, and I may be interesting this wrong, you were able to do your work sets after making your belt a notch looser? Your use of the word "electrical" makes me think this was nerve related but most probably a superficial sensory nerve that got pissed for a minute with how your belt was impinging on it.
    Yep I was able to finish my work sets after I loosened the belt.

It was just an extremely shocking sensation, and given I've been laid up with lower back strains numerous times over the years, it really had me worried.

But I sucked it up and got back under the bar two days later and again and again and haven't had any recurrence. Hit 300lb on the squat today and felt great.

Thanks for the reassurance! I just get a little bit squirrelly when it comes to back pain.

You're welcome