starting strength gym

Thread: Adductor tendonitis (?)

Default Adductor tendonitis (?)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello
    I am 28 yo male.
    I have been training for a long time, and had bad 2 years in training but got back to a good situation. I squatted 150kg for two sets of 5, which were not difficult (my PR is 200kg for 4 reps), but a day afterwards one of the left adductor tendon started being painful. I squatted only 125kg the next session, but it was still painful. Kept with about 2 weeks with lighter weights, since when I am warmed up it's a bit less painful, but didn't push to heavier weights. A week ago, sorry for the over-sharing, I have been doing the missionary position with my gf, and it stretched it. It wasn't too painful during the sex, but after a while it did start to hurt so I stopped that position since than. The pain after this day got worse, and I went down to 50kg, also did 3-0-3 tempo for a couple of sets, and I would say it has improved a bit. But it still is quite painful, to be honest. I tried a narrower stance, but it doesen't seem to help, maybe even made it more painful. I'm not sure about the anatomy, but it doesen't seem to be painful during hip extension, only during an internal rotation of the thigh, and an adduction of the thigh. The pain is really close to the testicles, maybe even under the testicles, at the tendon, not at the muscle belly at all.
    Pain exist for already about 3 weeks now, but worsened badly a week ago following the sex.
    Deadlift is a bit painful, I was at 125kg for 5 reps when the pain showed up, the next session I have done 120kg which was a bit painful, and afterwards I went back down to 85kg which was painful probably only at the first rep, if I kept my knees out. When I was letting the knees cave in a bit, pain arrived.
    During the day it was quite painful 1-2 days after the sex, but now it isn't, only when I adduct / internally rotate the thigh, which is not too frequent during a normal day.

What do you think may be a relevant approach here?
    Do you think that NSAIDs would help?

If a narrow stance doesn't help, it's probably not one of the adductors. Get it checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If a narrow stance doesn't help, it's probably not one of the adductors. Get it checked.
    Well, pain is only at the inner thigh, the painful tendon also hurt if I touch it, and the pain is related to movement in the adduction and internal rotation of the thigh. I will try a narrow stance again. The pain feels like a usual, but severe, tendonitis.
    If it is the case, how shall it be rehabbed, in general?

Thanks again for the help

Squats. You have to train through it. If it's actually tendonitis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Squats. You have to train through it. If it's actually tendonitis.
    Checked it under load, and it doesen't matter whether the stance is wide or narrow, surprisingly enough, it seem to be that if it's wider it's a bit better, as long as the knees are out enough. The more the knees are out, the less pain exist, but the diferrence is small.
    Concentric internal rotation of the thigh, and adduction, are the painful movements. If it's tendonitis, what would you think may be a good approach to train through it, in terms of sets, reps, and weight?
    After couple of light session of 4-5 sets of 5 reps with light load (50kg-55kg) it is a bit better, but still far from good.

Hi,
    It's been about 5 weeks of pain now, it doesen't really get that much better. I went down to 50kg at the squat and I'm doing the reps slower, but pain is still quite bad. It does improve but not so much.
    The deadlift is less painful than the squat.
    The adduction of the thigh is the most painful movement, and during the squat the pain is at the bottom. Every session, the first set with the empty bar is VERY painful but than it gets a tiny bit better during the warmup. But it's still quite painful and absolutely interfere with my abillity to actually squat more than a light weight, or any weight without a significant pain.

What do you think should be my next step?

Also, regarding my last reply, didn't mention: thank you very much for the kind help :-)

I would switch to pause squats and ramp sets of 5 to a top set. If things are feeling good that day, you can do two sets at the top weight. Do this 1-2x/week for squat and keep deadlifting 1x/week. Keep the top set load increases no larger than 10%. It usually takes these types of injuries closer to 12 weeks before they start to feel significantly better (notice I did not say completely go away here). Sometimes the symptoms still linger, but hopefully, you will be able to increase your load tolerance such that you can tolerate loads in the 125 kg range without a spike.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick D'Agostino View Post
    I would switch to pause squats and ramp sets of 5 to a top set. If things are feeling good that day, you can do two sets at the top weight. Do this 1-2x/week for squat and keep deadlifting 1x/week. Keep the top set load increases no larger than 10%. It usually takes these types of injuries closer to 12 weeks before they start to feel significantly better (notice I did not say completely go away here). Sometimes the symptoms still linger, but hopefully, you will be able to increase your load tolerance such that you can tolerate loads in the 125 kg range without a spike.
    Will do so. Thanks man :-)
    I Appreciate it!
    12 weeks is something I would sign for right now.

Thanks again

starting strength coach development program
    You're welcome and good luck!