starting strength gym

Thread: Proximal Hamstring soreness then injury

Default Proximal Hamstring soreness then injury

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Search function wasn’t much help on this one. I had some mild soreness that progressed into a couple of audible pops last week when doing a set of rows. I would consider it a grade 1 or 2 strain. Pain is exactly at the ischial tuberosity. Def not a complete rupture given I can walk and “air squat” with mild-moderate pain but stable.

Since this isn’t a muscle belly injury, I understand the Starr Protocol would not be the way to address. I have been gently foam rolling and icing it for 20 min increments and taking ibuprofen. No stretching yet. Any suggestions or links on good advice for a timeline to return (either number of days or symptom feeling) to lifting safely would be greatly appreciated. Don’t wanna finish the thing off getting back too soon.

Squat and deadlift form has been evaluated by SS Coach Pete (highly recommend) at a camp. Thx in advance.

There are 2 general rehab loading strategies for how to handle this type of thing. First, you have a linear periodization which starts at higher reps and gradually decreases the reps and increases the weight throughout a specific period. For example: 2 weeks of 15 reps, then 12 reps, then 10 reps, down back to 5s. Linear periodization is useful when the effort is not a problem, and just the amount of load is. The other strategy is a linear progression. Here you would just start extra light for 3 sets of 5 reps and build back up increasing the weight a little bit each time just like the novice progression. This is useful when things hurt more with effort, even when they are light. Choose a strategy an proceed forward. For each, I would keep the frequency of stressing the particular area 2-3 days a week. Choose one of the above plans and build yourself back up using deadlifts with a slow eccentric as the primary rehab exercise. I would avoid stretching it for now.

Perfect! Thanks Nick.

You're welcome!