starting strength gym

Thread: Lower back pain because of uneven loading of spine?

Default Lower back pain because of uneven loading of spine?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi there,

Think I pulled a muscle, seemingly "deep" in the right-side of my lower back. Really hurted a couple of days. How long should I wait before I get back under the bar? How much pain should I tolerate? I know the value of squats and deadlifts..
    Do you think this muscle pull could be related to eneven loading of the spine because of a leg length discrepancy (diagnosed in my youth as about 10mm discrepancy. Worn insert heel on/off during the years since, but now at 59 it has been a forgotten theme the last 10-15 years. Also, despite wearing the heel I had much back pain in my 30-40'ies, but then the last 15 years I have been almost completely OK and this is when not wearing the insert).
    I mean, a slight leg length difference is I guess compensated by a pelvic tilt and using one leg at a time, ie. walking and just bodyweight resitance would probably not cause any big concern? But now when loading the back with low-bar squats, can this aggrevate the situation if not wearing the heel?
    I reckon I also could have made some compensatory movements/muscle action because of a situation with my right knee (tried some front squats and of course this resulted in an inflamed patella tendon). Maybe this is more likely the cause?
    Secondary question is: will I loose much value/benefit from the low bar squats if I don't hit the depth (when checking the video see that I could have done a couple of centimeters deeper). Hi-bar squats seems to give me knee problems

PS! keep up the good work. Have ordered the "Starting strength" book, but is still waiting (6 weeks out and the tracking info says it is still in the US)..

BR
    Jan

I doubt the leg length discrepancy has anything to do with your current experience. A 1 cm discrepancy is an entirely normal finding across the population. I would wait 2-3 days before starting back up. Go extra light for a few sessions using 5 reps on all of your sets (including warmups). How much you can tolerate is going to be very individualized. For rules of thumb, you should feel like you are nudging the pain as you go, not ignoring and pushing through. If things are getting worse as you warm up, stay extra light that day. If things are getting better or staying the same as you warm up, do what you have planned. Also, prioritize depth over load.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick D'Agostino View Post
    I doubt the leg length discrepancy has anything to do with your current experience. A 1 cm discrepancy is an entirely normal finding across the population. I would wait 2-3 days before starting back up. Go extra light for a few sessions using 5 reps on all of your sets (including warmups). How much you can tolerate is going to be very individualized. For rules of thumb, you should feel like you are nudging the pain as you go, not ignoring and pushing through. If things are getting worse as you warm up, stay extra light that day. If things are getting better or staying the same as you warm up, do what you have planned. Also, prioritize depth over load.
    Thnks! I will follwo your advice. On further thinking maybe I hurt my lower back trying to get lower than previosly in the squat.. ? At least I may have struggled to get up and done something wrong

No prob man, good luck!

Can report that I am fully back.. slighty above where I left off. Thnks again for the advice. I am MUCH MORE aware of adhering to strict technique than I have ever been. And guess what.. it pays off. I have learnt so much these last months (one of the very few advantages from the pandemic ie. of having more time at hand and being able to sit down and read/watch videoes (still waiting for the SS book)

starting strength coach development program
    That's great man! I'm glad you are paying attention to your technique and trying to get better. The key to paying attention to technique is not to be afraid when you deviate from it. As you push yourself deviations are inevitable. Use them as information to guide decisions on what to focus on during the next set and your future programming. Don't be afraid that a deviation occurred. I hope this helps!