starting strength gym

Thread: Knee Pain

Default Knee Pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    It consistently has the same trigger: going to sleep or sitting down for a few hours long drive/office work. It also consistently goes away as soon I stand up and walk around.

I do squats high bar and I have a long torso so my back angle is relatively vertical and knees are relatively forward. I also don't wear a belt or lifting shoes, though I did just order lifting shoes with a heel. I know I'm not doing things the starting strength way and that my issues may all be my own fault. I'm not trying to argue against the starting strength way, I just brought up the way I've been doing things to identify possibly contributing factors to the knee pain.

One further thing is that I used to have good ankle mobility but I hurt my left ankle playing basketball a year and half ago and it's still somewhat stiff, my left knee hurts more, though the right doesn't feel great either.

One last thing is I've tried doing hip dominant squats. I can do them with good form and feel the "hip drive" up until 315x5. Once I get up to my work set though which is currently at 360x5x3, the form I intend on doesn't matter because the form breaks down anyway and my body defaults to it's strongest position anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by strongnovice View Post
    It consistently has the same trigger: going to sleep or sitting down for a few hours long drive/office work. It also consistently goes away as soon I stand up and walk around. This is classically described as being the hallmark signs of osteoarthritic in nature. Periods of inactivity with rapid improvement with general movement is one of the reports we use clinically to zero in on osteoarthritis as a differential diagnosis prior to confirmatory imaging. Although, let me go one step further and state clearly that this report DOES NOT require imaging at this time, if we go specifically off your reports.

I do squats high bar and I have a long torso so my back angle is relatively vertical and knees are relatively forward. I also don't wear a belt or lifting shoes, though I did just order lifting shoes with a heel. I know I'm not doing things the starting strength way and that my issues may all be my own fault. I'm not trying to argue against the starting strength way, I just brought up the way I've been doing things to identify possibly contributing factors to the knee pain. Repeated stressing of the patellofemoral joint is a known / highly suspected generator of retropatellar pain. The further your knees travel forward, the more joint stress applied to the patellofemoral joint. It is a routine finding clinically that I can have someone come in with persistent knee pain and correct their squat to a low bar squat technique and they are able to squat without pain immediately.

One further thing is that I used to have good ankle mobility but I hurt my left ankle playing basketball a year and half ago and it's still somewhat stiff, my left knee hurts more, though the right doesn't feel great either. I've had multiple reconstructions on my right ankle. I also had a partial quadriceps tendon tear on the same side. Are these two things related by anything more than coincidence? Hard to say, but, for my situation, I honestly don't believe they are related at all.

One last thing is I've tried doing hip dominant squats. I can do them with good form and feel the "hip drive" up until 315x5. Once I get up to my work set though which is currently at 360x5x3, the form I intend on doesn't matter because the form breaks down anyway and my body defaults to it's strongest position anyway.Coaches are invaluable assets to have.
    Please see the in-line responses.