starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hip Pain (Should I stop squatting?)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Gbraddock,

Yes, my frustration come from the fact that I made a commitment to re-attain a 3,4, and 5 plate BP/SQ/DL. I saw this COVID situation as the perfect time to do it, and ended up losing that time by overreaching . My ultimate goal has always been a 4,5,6 (405, 495, and 585) big three. I may have to come to terms that this is not in my destiny genetically without chemical intervention, which I won't partake in.

For now, I've re-accessed and will be happy to get back to old standards, and hopefully still have time with work to improve on those. As you've astutely pointed out, reality is a bitch . Time for me to face some facts!

Thank you for your advice, and good luck with your own training!

Quote Originally Posted by Intricate35 View Post
    Nick,

As always I appreciate your comments. It's hard hearing it, but some progress is definitely better than no progress at all. To that point, this is my plan, and if you'd be so kind, I'd love your notes one a couple of points.

Andy Baker Standard HLM. I'll be starting at 75% (on Squat 255 lb. and Deads 315 lb.) of my current LP working weights per your suggestion. Here is my first week, and plan breakdown:

Day 1 (Heavy):
    Heavy Squat 5x5 185 lbs.
    Medium Bench 3x5 175 lbs.
    Medium (85% of Heavy) Deadlift 3x5 210 lbs.

Day 2 (Light):
    Light (80% of Heavy) Squat 3x5 150 lbs.
    Overhead Press 5x5 110 lbs.
    Bent Over Rows 3x5 165 lbs.

Day 3 (Medium):
    Medium (90% of Heavy) Squat 3x5 165 lbs.
    Heavy Bench 5x5 175 lbs.
    Heavy Deadlift 1x5 235 lbs.

Increase 5lbs. a week on Squats, 10lbs. a week on Deadlift, 5 lbs for BP/OP. I'll move OP to 2.5 increments soon. Titrate Heavy volume down if progress slows and medium volume up in balance.

My questions are thus:

1. Does this look solid?
    2. Should I keep the increments the same even if my hip feels "healed" in a month? I'm very hopeful that this will become reality.
    3. Should I continue to eat 4k (210 grams protein) calories a day? I am a hard gainer with a high metabolism. 4k gains me about 1lb. of BW a week. I am 202 today.

Thank you again for the consideration. You've given me hope of a way out of this!!!
    1. This overall looks pretty solid. I like to make the jumps between days even distribution but that is just my programming preference. I would start at a 5x5 on medium and a 3x5 on heavy because when rehabbing you are trying to limit spikes in stress as you gradually build the intensity up. If LP is still working on your upper body lifts I would keep doing it.
    2. I would do 10lb weekly jumps on the squat too from the start.
    3. Yes, continue eating between 3500-4000 calories/day and adjust as you need.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick D'Agostino View Post
    1. This overall looks pretty solid. I like to make the jumps between days even distribution but that is just my programming preference. I would start at a 5x5 on medium and a 3x5 on heavy because when rehabbing you are trying to limit spikes in stress as you gradually build the intensity up. If LP is still working on your upper body lifts I would keep doing it.
    2. I would do 10lb weekly jumps on the squat too from the start.
    3. Yes, continue eating between 3500-4000 calories/day and adjust as you need.

Hope this helps!
    Nick,

Ignore my last message is this is correct. I think what you're saying is you prefer Heavy days to be Heavy for all exercises performed. Is there an issue with "spreading the load?" I chose to do this, as Andy Baker has said in some articles it is fine, and due to time constraints, it is easier for me with work to have all workouts be around the same length. A full Heavy day would take an inordinate amount of time. I can schedule around that if you feel it imperative to recovery/gains.

Thank you again!

I do not mind you spreading the load between lifts (having the heavy SQ and DL day on separate days). I'm saying make medium days higher volume and the heavy days lower volume to prevent a spike in workload. If you have one day that is both the heaviest and highest volume you are creating a spike in total workload compared to your other days.

I do not mind you spreading the load between lifts (having the heavy SQ and DL day on separate days). I'm saying make medium days higher volume and the heavy days lower volume to prevent a spike in workload. If you have one day that is both the heaviest and highest volume you are creating a spike in total workload compared to your other days.
    Nick got it, This is my new Template:

Day 1 (Heavy):
    Heavy Squat 3x5 185 lbs.
    LP Bench 3x5 175 lbs.
    Medium (85% of Heavy) Deadlift 3x5 210 lbs.

Day 2 (Light):
    Light (80% of Heavy) Squat 3x5 150 lbs.
    LP Press 5x5 110 lbs.
    LP Bent Over Rows 3x5 165 lbs.

Day 3 (Medium):
    Medium (80% of Heavy) Squat 5x5 165 lbs.
    LP Bench 3x5 180 lbs.
    Heavy Deadlift 1x5 235 lbs.

Should I just advance the Heavy days the 10lbs. and % base the offset medium and light?

Thanks again

Yes do that! Great job.

starting strength coach development program
    Yes do that! Great job.
    Nick,

I have an update and a couple of questions.

Things have been going great. Slowly but surely pain/discomfort in my hip has been subsiding to the point of almost disappearing. Thank you for the great advice and for getting me out of the hole I dug myself into. For context, here is my latest week at a BW of 204.

Current program:

Day 1 (Heavy):
    Heavy Squat 3x5 285 lbs.
    LP Bench 3x5 195 lbs.
    Medium (85% of Heavy) SLDL Deadlift 3x5 285 lbs.

Day 2 (Light):
    Light (80% of Heavy) Squat 3x5 225 lbs.
    LP Press 5x5 120 lbs.
    LP Bent Over Rows 3x5 185 lbs.

Day 3 (Medium):
    Medium (80% of Heavy) Squat 5x5 225 lbs.
    LP Bench 3x5 200 lbs.
    Heavy Deadlift 1x5 335 lbs.

For context, you recommended that I do lower volume, high intensity on my Heavy days, and the opposite on medium. Recently, Heavy days have been a struggle, and it almost feels like on my Heavy day I haven't fully recovered from the Medium day on Friday. I was thinking this could be the case because the volume is MUCH higher on Fridays during the medium day (Heavy day 285x3x5=4275, Medium 225x5x5=5625, total volume 9900). The medium day volume is tough but I'm nowhere near stalling. The last couple of heavy days have left me taking 6-9 mins between sets and grinding out the last couple reps.

Should I be changing anything at this point? I looked into the standard HLM template, and was confused by a couple of the differences. Here is the standard Andy Baker template for "older/recovery impaired" lifters (being 38 and getting mediocre sleep). I'll only list the squats as the rest of my lifts are still responding to the standard LP so I wouldn't change those.

Template from Andy Baker FAQ:

Week 1: 5 x 80%, 3 x 5 x 75%

Week 2: 3 x 85%, 4 x 5 x 75%

Week 3: 1-2 x 90%, 5 x 5 x 75%

Week 1 with my current lifts:

Day 1 Heavy:
    Top Set 285x1x5, + 3 back offs of 5%,270x3x5 (Volume 5475)

Day 2 Light: (80% of Monday):
    225x3x5

Day 3 Medium (90% of Heavy topset):
    255x4x5 (Volume 5100)

Total volume 10,575. Oddly enough, This method recommends to change the % of 1RM on the top set week to week (Week 1 80%, Week 2 85%, Week 3 90%), and increasing volume of the offset for 3 weeks. Then increase by 5 lbs. in all lifts at the end of a 3-week cycle. This seems to be 3x slower than the current plan, even though Week 3 volume would be upwards of 13,000 lbs.

1. Is this method viable, if so, would you recommend it?
    2. Why is the progression on the "standard" HLM method so much slower? Am I missing something?
    3. Is there something I can do in the current method to keep progressing 5lbs. a week on squats?
    4. Would it make sense to possibly swap H/M days so that volume is at the beginning of the week?

I appreciate all your insight, and again thank you for getting me past my hips issue . Have a good one!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12