starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yet another Anecdotal Evidence for or against chin up protocol for Golfer's Elbow

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    If I understand the mechanism by which this works, the volume has to be quite a bit greater than the volume you have adapted to currently. So, for a lot of folks that don’t do chins regularly, 2-3 reps per set might be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by SpazTheCat View Post
    If I understand the mechanism by which this works, the volume has to be quite a bit greater than the volume you have adapted to currently. So, for a lot of folks that don’t do chins regularly, 2-3 reps per set might be just fine.
    That is the plan. I am ramping up to 20 sets of 3 and then to 20 sets of 5 while listening to my body.

Some improvement is observed already - I can now unscrew a bottle cap without discomfort.

Day 10: Rest
    Day 11: NLP. 16 chin up doubles.
    Bench press was painful even though I was doing only doing 50% of 5RM.

Day 12: Rest.

Day 13: Easing back into NLP. 17 chin up doubles after the workout.

Pain has become worse.

Day 14: Rest
    Day 15: 17 chin up doubles after NLP.

Lifts at about 60% of previous best.

Day 16: Rest
    Day 17: 3 chin up triples and 15 chin up doubles after NLP.

Even though it still hurts to chin and bench press, I think that the situation is improving. The things which were causing pain are now cause only some discomfort - sweeping the floor, spreading a heavy blanket, overhead pressing of the 3 year old, forehand strokes in badminton etc.

The things which were causing discomfort is no longer a botheration: unscrewing the lid of a water bottle, changing the gears while driving, writing on the whiteboard at work etc.

Real test is if I can bench my previous PR. I will get back there in a couple of weeks.

Day 18: Rest.

Day 19: NLP. Chin ups: 4 triples and 14 doubles.

Day 20: Rest
    Day 21: 6 triples, 12 doubles.

Golfer's Elbow pain almost gone.

starting strength coach development program
    Day 22: Rest
    Day 23: Rest
    Day 24: Golfer's elbow is almost gone. It no longer bothers me during normal life activities. I guess I should pause the pin firing now so that my NLP re-run is not getting affected. I just did 3 sets of 5 chins today and stopped there.

As I had told earlier, the real test would be when I reach near my earlier Bench PRs.

Any expert opinion on my decision? Is it a mistake to stop the chin protocol at this stage? Should I run it for a few more days?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12