starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another Anecdotal Evidence for or against chin up protocol for Golfer's Elbow

Default Yet another Anecdotal Evidence for or against chin up protocol for Golfer's Elbow

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    After doing a ton of cardio stuff during March and April due to gym closure, I got access to a pull up bar and parallel bars in a nearby park in May. Since these were only things could I do, I brought my chins up to 5 sets of 10 and dips to 5 sets of 20 during a period of three weeks. Then the elbow pain started. I worked out through them and ended up with a serious case of Golfer's Elbow. I can't do three chin ups now without hurting like hell. I can't pick up my 3 year old without experiencing a sharp pang of pain. Even typing this is gives me hurts.

During the last two weeks, I tried rest, I tried stretching, I tried Gripper, I iced the area - nothing worked. So I looked up and read about Coach Rip's chin up protocol.

Today is Day 1.

I started out with 10 singles. I guess I can do 10 doubles next day because the pain stabilised after third or fourth single. I did 5 sets of 5 dips too - It didn't hurt at all.

Since Ice was exacerbating the problem, I applied heat after the chins.

I will keep you posted so that this can serve as yet another anecdotal evidence for or against chin up protocol for Golfer's Elbow.

I didn't take a break because yesterday's 10 singles were too easy.

Day 2: 10 chin up doubles followed by 5x5 dips.

I won't sleep tonight.

How was the pain doing the doubles tonight? I could be wrong but isn’t it supposed to be more sets? I remember the one time I did the pin firing technique I was in so much fucking agony, my hands were shaking so badly I couldn’t hold my phone for like an hour after I finished.

Day 3: Rest. Could not even open a bottle cap without experiencing pain.

Day 4: 13 chin doubles. First 5 doubles were okay. Arms were on fire afterwards and I nearly quit on the 10th set, but somehow managed to continue. This was followed by 5 sets of 6 dips.

Applying heat (and not ice) twice daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    How was the pain doing the doubles tonight? I could be wrong but isn’t it supposed to be more sets? I remember the one time I did the pin firing technique I was in so much fucking agony, my hands were shaking so badly I couldn’t hold my phone for like an hour after I finished.
    You are right, we need more sets. I am building up to 20 sets of 3 to 5 reps, but I don't want to do it in a hurry because it was the chins that originally caused the problem. While 10 singles were super easy, 10 doubles were not. Today I did 13 doubles and even my legs were shaking towards the end (okay, exaggeration). I could have gone 15 doubles today, but perhaps I was being overcautious. Any expert opinion on this? Should I ramp up faster?

I’ll be interested in seeing how this goes. I’ve been fiddling with golfers elbow for a while now. Last weekend was 20 sets of 6. I’ll up that to 20 sets of 7 this weekend. Do you just keep upping the volume until it goes away?

I threw in some isometrics and that seems to have helped way more than the chin ups. After starting those, I have no pain with normal daily stuff but it still bugs me when I lift.

Day 5: Rest.

Day 6: 15 chin up sets. Every fifth set was a triple and all others were doubles. Followed by 3 sets of 6 dips.

I couldn't play underhand forehand shots when I tried a casual game of shuttle badminton with my 9 year old yesterday and had to give up many free points. Forehand smash was a little less painful. Backhand is weaker than usual, but not at all painful.

Badminton is more painful than chin ups.

Quote Originally Posted by SpazTheCat View Post
    I’ll be interested in seeing how this goes. I’ve been fiddling with golfers elbow for a while now. Last weekend was 20 sets of 6. I’ll up that to 20 sets of 7 this weekend. Do you just keep upping the volume until it goes away?

I threw in some isometrics and that seems to have helped way more than the chin ups. After starting those, I have no pain with normal daily stuff but it still bugs me when I lift.
    I’m curious on this kinda volume. I mean, at what point is overuse a legitimate concern here? I believe Mark discussed doing 20-25 sets of 2 and it would be gone in 2-3 weeks. Then once pain subsides use chins as an accessory exercise for pulling. Welcome any corrections on this because I deal with it too from time to time.

Day 6: Rest

Day 7: 16 chin up sets. Every fourth set was a triple and rest were doubles. Sharp pain on triceps after the third triple (12th set). This was in addition to the normal inner elbow pain which paled I'm comparison to the triceps pain. Sets 13, 14 and 15 were manageable. Triceps pain came back during the third rep of final triple (16th set) which I guess was partial rep with nose barely touching the bar.

Did 3 x 7 dips after a 15 minutes break and there was no pain.

So the triceps hurt during chin triples, and not during chin doubles or during dips. Interesting.

starting strength coach development program
    Day 8: Rest

Day 9: My bar was delivered yesterday. So I resumed my NLP after a gap of 3 months.

Did 15 chin up doubles after the workout.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast