starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder issues

Default Shoulder issues

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I had shoulder surgery on March 11th 2020. My problem is that it has been 3 months and I still cant do a push up and my superspantus still hurts. The surgey I had was superspantus, long head of bicep and slap tear debridement along with subacormal decompression. I have be doing the press with 95 pounds for sets of 10. But when I do push ups or bench press my arm shakes like it has zero strength. I dont get it the doctor said 3 to 4 months and I'd be good to go. Before I got injuried I was benching 365 and over head pressing 225 and I'm 23 years of age.

I’m sorry to hear about your current situation, however, I am unsure whether your post was a general summary of a routinely observed outcome of surgery, or if there was a question that was intended to be asked.

I’m going to assume the question that intended to be asked was something along the lines of, “What is some advice to get me back to doing push-ups and bench pressing?”

The answer to that question is simply this: this type of situation requires a professional consultation and would require that you actually place some skin in the game to get the level of advice you wish to get. This level of advice is something that does not come for free.

I'm recovering from triceps surgery and I also experience the shaking you describe when pressing even the empty bar. That's probably a normal part of recovery; so many accessory muscles have atrophied and the body has to get used to the movements again. I don't think your doctor's promise of "good to go" meant that you wouldn't have to go through a retraining process.

So I have gotten where I can do a set of 10 push ups, still shakey. The only issue I have now is that dang roator cuff keeps flareing up with every little thing. If that would stop I know I would be able to get back to normal. My left side I feel will one day need a decompression but I want to train and get stronger before I have to do that. I worrie that I tore my cuff jogging during rehab but I dont see how that's even possable. I only had fraying tissue no tear so it doesnt make sense why it wont ease off. Back to the doctor tomorrow.

Please review the literature on subacromial decompressions and their success rate. It might change your belief on you “needing one”.

I have not had surgery, but I got hit with pretty severe shoulder pain. I started online coaching with Nick D' and have gone through a slow and steady linear progression. My shoulder pain has decreased dramatically and my strength gains keep going up. When I experience a shoulder flare (chin ups did it for me) we took them out and he subbed in other movements. I think working closely with a coach who is also a PT was a good move for me.

I also have seen my acupuncturist three times. He works with athletes, and it has substantially reduced my discomfort as well. I can’t take NSAIDS for pain so I needed an alternative.

Well I really dont know what to do I felt better roator cuff wise 3 weeks after surgery. Mind you my tear didnt need to be repaired just smoothed over. I started doing some running just to get some exersice and with in 2 week my cuff hurt like I tore it. My surgon thinks it just inflmation from starting back jogging at day 13 after surgery. In my defense they told me no restrictions and it isnt like I tryed benching 315 or something stupid. I wonder if I could have tore the superspantus jogging. I'm not sure if that's even possable but it hurts to do anything. I was given a cortizone shot so we will see. I fear I'm going need more surgery.

starting strength coach development program
    Honestly, sir, I don’t think your condition is something that can be addressed via a free message board. If training is important to you, I highly recommend you find a strength coach that is familiar and comfortable with training individuals with similar complaints. There is an awful lot wrong with several things you said that really prohibit any useful advice being given in this forum.