starting strength gym

Thread: Teres Major tear from LTE

Default Teres Major tear from LTE

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip,

Have you ever seen a teres Major injury from doing LTE's? (form your prescribe). I seemed to have done just that. Never noticed anything during the exercise. I had not done the exercise for several months and slighly overloaded on my final set. Still did 3 reps but it was too heavy (135lbs fwiw). I thought nothing of it and stopped the workout since it was my final movement.

This morning I noticed a bruise/mild hematoma exactly on top of my teres mayor. 24hr later the bruising is quite clear but there is almost no noticeable pain. Just barely feel a mild sensation with some movement.

I'm planning to wait 1 or 2 more days and then start rehabbing with the star protocol. My question is: Which exercise would you choose?

I don't like the idea of any pullover/lte type movement due to the strong eccentric loading in the fully streched positing. I was thinking dumbbell rows or Chin ups. What do you think?

Thanks,
    Robert

I did supinated grip lat pulls. Full ROM and worked on scapular retraction (big chest) then pull to chest. I moved to band assisted Chins until I could do regular chins.

Worked well for me.

Thanks for the suggestion. You also tore a teres major? It's quite rare apparently.

My thinking was to build up with an unilateral exercise (dumbbell/kroc rows) to avoid favouring the uninjured side until I could do chins. I.e. very similar to your suggestion.

Also, I don't have a pull down machine in my home gym. I do have a swiss bar though so I might try bent over rows with a supinated grip.

Hey Rob,

I would probably use DB rows or light LTEs to start. The LTEs have the advantage of training it in the ROM that you injured it. If you avoid creating shoulder extension from a fully flexed position you are going to make yourself vulnerable when you do any exercise that requires force production in that ROM later. These options just let you scale the load better than chins. You could follow the Starr protocol in principle, but not exactly. Things like starting at higher reps lighter weight (15ish) and gradually decreasing back to sets of 5-8 on chins/pull-ups. I would do them once every 48-72 hours and not daily. I would also keep doing the other barbell lifts that you can do.

Thanks Nick, I apreciate it.

Chins could/would be done with bands to make them light enough. I like your reasoning for rehabbing with the exercise that produced the injury. I'll stick to dumbell rows today. If it feels ok i'll upgrade to LTE's next wo.

I have a question here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick D'Agostino View Post
    I would also keep doing the other barbell lifts that you can do.
    How dou you feel about Deads? Teres Major seems strongly involved as a stabilising muscle. That + the heavy load (inhered to deads) makes me weary.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert NL View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. You also tore a teres major? It's quite rare apparently.

My thinking was to build up with an unilateral exercise (dumbbell/kroc rows) to avoid favouring the uninjured side until I could do chins. I.e. very similar to your suggestion.

Also, I don't have a pull down machine in my home gym. I do have a swiss bar though so I might try bent over rows with a supinated grip.
    Yeah I tore mine doing a deadlift. The vertical plane felt best for me to get blood in there during rehab. So it did lat pulldowns And switched to resistance band chins starting with the thickest one and progressed down to the thinnest.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert NL View Post
    Thanks Nick, I apreciate it.

Chins could/would be done with bands to make them light enough. I like your reasoning for rehabbing with the exercise that produced the injury. I'll stick to dumbell rows today. If it feels ok i'll upgrade to LTE's next wo.

I have a question here:

How dou you feel about Deads? Teres Major seems strongly involved as a stabilising muscle. That + the heavy load (inhered to deads) makes me weary.
    I qualified that statement for this reason. You probably have to scale back your deadlifts a bit but I would not use deadlift as the exclusive rehab exercise in this situation. You need to rehab you're teres major in the ROM that you experienced the injury in and to do that effectively you are probably going to have to use chins or LTEs.