starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinched nerve (I think)

Default Pinched nerve (I think)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I put this in another thread as part of a discussion but I'll post on it's own now in hopes of getting some advice since it's not getting much better.

Having the same issue myself for the last few days. Pain in upper back and what I'd call pretty bad pain in shoulder and especially tricep area. I found I could bench without pain if I lifted my head off the bench and tucked my chin. If I put my head on the bench the pain was too great. But it ended up not mattering because my right shoulder is very weak and my left tricep is barely firing at all. I literally could not bench press a 30 pound dumbbell with my right arm yesterday.

I posted this a couple days ago and my right tricep still has literally nothing. I did ice/heat supersets a few times a day for a few days but haven't in a couple. Also taking ibuprofen regularly. I'm not doing anything that aggravates it but I am training what I can that doesn't cause pain.

Any advice to get through this sooner rather than later would be greatly appreciated.

From your basic description, it does sound like it might be a nerve issue. If the significant weakness does not get better in the next few days or you start to notice atrophy in your right tricep you should seek help from a medical doctor. Keeping doing what you can and making the necessary changes to your training for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick D'Agostino View Post
    From your basic description, it does sound like it might be a nerve issue. If the significant weakness does not get better in the next few days or you start to notice atrophy in your right tricep you should seek help from a medical doctor. Keeping doing what you can and making the necessary changes to your training for now.
    Thanks Nick. Appreciate your time and response. I'll see how it progresses over the next week.

One more thing and then I'll leave you alone. Would it be worth using that tricep the best I can, which would literally be a few pounds? Not for any kind of strength or hypertrophy, of course, but possibly try to get it firing? I understand the tricep is a symptom and not the problem so it seems like it wouldn't help but thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks and sorry in advance for the dumb question.

I am a fan of that idea. You should also keep training the other arm.

Awesome, thank you. I'll do what I can with it. Already on top of training the other side. I saw somewhere long ago that training the healthy side helps slow atrophy on the bad side. Don't know if it's true but that's what I've always done. Thanks again.

PS Unrelated but I enjoyed your press/bench progression video very much. I'll utilize those ideas when I get back on track.

I realized after I pushed "reply" that I had the wrong person pertaining to that video. I couldn't fix it since my post disappeared into approval limbo for a while. Sincere apologies.

lol no prob man! I'm sure the other Nick D will enjoy the compliment

Hey Nick, sorry to bother you again with this but I admit, I'm pretty concerned. So I'm still experiencing massive weakness in my tricep and some, but not to the same extent, in my lat. I have also noticed that my tricep is starting to atrophy. Anyway, as we discussed, I got an MRI yesterday and will review it on Monday (soonest appointment I could get.) My question is, I'm quite scared about the damage being permanent. How long can a muscle go with little nerve stimulation before there is irreparable damage? If you have any insight, I'd like to hear it and if you have good news I'd REALLY like to hear that! Thank you for your time and efforts.

starting strength coach development program
    This is actually a very complicated question and I do not have a firm answer for you. Sometimes this reverses and sometimes it doesn't. It is better to figure these things out as things are just starting to atrophy rather than waiting until they have severely atrophied. I would do your best to direct your attention to what you can control (decisions, opinions, mindset, etc).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast