starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spondylolysis

Default spondylolysis

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am back to working out after having a surgery. Not on my back but somthing unrelated. April 30th was my last workout and now back to it on June 10th.

I didnt think I needed to go too light because it hasnt been that long. Everthing went as planned, but after it was over my back was sore. Not terrible but sore. I didnt workout until June 18 and planned on getting back to the regular 3 day NLP. I added the normal 5lb to the lifts and my back today has the same pain. I assume I have started with the weight too high. Everything but my back can handle the weight.

My question. Am I in any danger of permanent damage by just pushing through? Or should I back off the intensity. I know limitations of how you can answer this, but if there is any insite it is appreciated.

My pain level tomorrow will also help tell me what needs to be done. Buy my plan is to lift even if I need to lighten the weights, due to pain.

This pain isn't new but the weight is now heavier.

Squat 255#
    DL 325#

When I stopped in April was at 285# and 375#

Permanent damage is an odd concept. It reminded me when adults used to threaten me as a child into behaving with the term "permeant record." The reason why it is odd is that the body is continually adapting to the stresses you are placing on it. Unfortunately, we do not get to choose the rate at which we adapt to the stress we put on it, though. Some of us adapt faster than others, and some times we make adaptations that we do not want to have. If you keep adding weight, one of the adaptations that will likely occur is that you will start experiencing more pain at lighter loads. Your body is doing this to try to protect you from the activity that it perceives as threatening. With this in mind, my recommendation is that you lower the weight and build back into things slower than you want to before this adaptation that you don't want gains some momentum.

I did not expect that response and have never even considered that could be a possible outcome. When I say permanent damage, I mean like if you were to tare your finger off.

This pain at lighter weight is purly psychological?

I will take your advise and back off. I was thinking about it earlier and had decided to back off, just to insure the constancy of training was keeped. At this point in my life, 3 days a week helps my mental as well as physical health. It does wonders for my overall energy levels each week.

I appreciate the insight.

No prob man! I think that is the right call. This video may provide some insight into how pain works:

I hope this helps!

After a few weeks of back pain... I would be farther ahead if I would have started slow. Live and learn.

Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick D'Agostino View Post
    Exactly!
    I thought I started slow... 255 was almost a 15% drop.

Yeah for your specific case the first session back would have been 185x5x3, then 205, then 225, then 240, then 255, then continuing with a couple of 5-10lb jumps until your back. I find people do better in these cases starting extra low and taking bigger jumps back then starting high and taking smaller jumps back.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick D'Agostino View Post
    Yeah for your specific case the first session back would have been 185x5x3, then 205, then 225, then 240, then 255, then continuing with a couple of 5-10lb jumps until your back. I find people do better in these cases starting extra low and taking bigger jumps back then starting high and taking smaller jumps back.
    That makes sense. Lets hope their is no next time. This will make my 3rd run at NLP. I am 99% healthy. Hoping to get into intermediate programming this year.

I backed down to 245 and skipped the DL. The beginning tweak came from the squat and the DL really enhanced it.

starting strength coach development program
    Thought I would just revive this for anyone with the same problem... wanted to add my current progress.

Squat 3x5 @ 285#
    DL 1x5 @ 385#

Matthew Spicka - Strength Level

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast