starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: spondylolysis

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm back here with a question. Yesterday was DL 400 1x5. It was a success, but I am now having back pain. The weight lifting had made all my back problems go away and now it is becoming the source.

Am I in any danger with this type back issue? And how could I go about researching?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Spicka View Post
    I'm back here with a question. Yesterday was DL 400 1x5. It was a success, but I am now having back pain. The weight lifting had made all my back problems go away and now it is becoming the source.

Am I in any danger with this type back issue? And how could I go about researching?
    How much did your technique deviate from a normal deadlift session? Do you have video of the session?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    How much did your technique deviate from a normal deadlift session? Do you have video of the session?
    I thought about that, but I dont know. I guess its time to video some sessions.

Your somatic experience of the lift oftentimes is not based in reality. If you are pulling 400 for 5, you are well past the time where visual feedback is very helpful. The application of visual feedback on your lifts immediately after the lift will help calibrate your body into being very accurate as far as the sensory experience and the actual movement.

Im on it... I will get some video. I did DL tonight but only 335 for 5. My back is almost healed, but I had to lift anyways.

Took a while for my back to feel better. I can squat with no issues, but the deadlift took me a bit more time to work back up to.

I was told by a Doctor I am strong enough and given my back condition I shouldn't be still trying to lift heavier weights. Makes me sad to hear that because I am goal oriented and I would know what to do if I didn't have a PR to chase. I have found nothing in an article that says I shouldn't. Maybe I should get an x-ray to see if anything has progressed. The last x-ray was when I was 17 and I'm 47 now.

Here is my set of 5 and they felt good and I didn't hurt myself. I also did squats @ 290# 3x5 before the DL.

Deadlift 385# - YouTube
    Last edited by Matthew Spicka; 05-13-2021 at 06:27 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    390# x5

Narrowed my stance a little wider grip and pushed my knees out. I think I did a good job in the warm ups maybe a bit off here but felt better. It seemed to take a pressure off my lower back.

If I do any kind of lower back extensions my back will ache. The narrower stance, wider grip and pressing the knees out seemed to take pressure off my back. Though my back rarely hurts after DLs, the next day can make or break the week. I have a feeling Friday will be 395# no problem. I could even jump to 400 but 1 more workout to keep working on the form will do me good. 400x5 is my personal best.

Deadlift 390# x5 - YouTube

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12