starting strength gym

Thread: Training around Distal Clavicle Osteolysis

Default Training around Distal Clavicle Osteolysis

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi folks,

New here, first post, but have been dipping in and out of the forums for sometime now. I was wondering if you guys on here may be able to assist me with a problem I have training wise.

I have been diagnosed with Distal Clavicle Osteolysis after having had my shoulder X-rayed after 3 years of frustrating shoulder pain.

I'm wondering what exercises I can and can't do, in order to maintain momentum through this irritating injury. I have been told that bringing arms across the body, and behind the body are a no-no, which is fine. I'm also happy to avoid overhead pressing and benching for the foreseeable. I have the following exercises in my list as possibles for now. Am I on the right track?

Trap Bar Deadlifts
    Trap Bar/Kettlebell Farmers Walks
    Shrug

And for further down the rehab road

Landmine Press
    Trapbar Overhead Press
    Sledgehammer to tyre work
    Battle Rope
    Versaclimber ( I'm fortunate enought to own one )

Can arms be safely trained at the moment?

I also have a Footballers Bar for later on, and am well aware that when I do get back to proper training, everything will be neutral grip, to give my shoulder some space.

One of the main problems in working round this is I have Osteoarthritis in my left knee which I have to work around, so having that to contend with, as well as shoulder issues seems to narrow the scope training wise. I had a osteochondral autografting on my knee 4 years ago to repair the onset of arthritis, and to keep me in the game. It was identified at a follow up operation 2 years ago that I have arthritis developing behind my knee cap also. However, I have this problem in hand, and am successfully training round it, albeit very conservatively. So giving the upper body a rest, and beasting the lower body isn't an option.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by smff73 View Post
    Hi folks,

New here, first post, but have been dipping in and out of the forums for sometime now. I was wondering if you guys on here may be able to assist me with a problem I have training wise.

I have been diagnosed with Distal Clavicle Osteolysis after having had my shoulder X-rayed after 3 years of frustrating shoulder pain.

I'm wondering what exercises I can and can't do, in order to maintain momentum through this irritating injury. This question is not something a clinician can really answer. The simple answer is this: exercises, in and of themselves, are not inherently dangerous. There are exercises which may cause increased symptoms, but even then, I would not classify those as exercises you "can't do". I have been told that bringing arms across the body, and behind the body are a no-no, which is fine. I'm also happy to avoid overhead pressing and benching for the foreseeable. This is unfortunate. This is very unfortunate. Being happy to avoid the two most crucial upper body exercises is very unfortunate. I have the following exercises in my list as possibles for now. Am I on the right track? Pardon the frankness of the answer, but....I honestly have no clue. It depends on your overall fitness goal. If you are asking if the exercises listed below are going to be completely tolerable, cause no pain, and make you stronger and more conditioned....I'd suffice it to say this: as a PT and as a long time strength coach, my programming for someone with DCO would not look anything like this.

Trap Bar Deadlifts
    Trap Bar/Kettlebell Farmers Walks
    Shrug

And for further down the rehab road

Landmine Press
    Trapbar Overhead Press
    Sledgehammer to tyre work
    Battle Rope
    Versaclimber ( I'm fortunate enought to own one )

Can arms be safely trained at the moment? Yes, Definitely. I do it all the time. I have trained multiple people with DCO to competition and lifetime PRs.

I also have a Footballers Bar for later on, and am well aware that when I do get back to proper training, everything will be neutral grip, to give my shoulder some space.you have obviously been nocebo'd by some well-meaning clinician. I sincerely apologize for that.

One of the main problems in working round this is I have Osteoarthritis in my left knee which I have to work around, so having that to contend with, as well as shoulder issues seems to narrow the scope training wise. I had a osteochondral autografting on my knee 4 years ago to repair the onset of arthritis, and to keep me in the game. It was identified at a follow up operation 2 years ago that I have arthritis developing behind my knee cap also. However, I have this problem in hand, and am successfully training round it, albeit very conservatively. So giving the upper body a rest, and beasting the lower body isn't an option.How old are you?

Thanks in advance
    Responses in bold, above.