starting strength gym

Thread: HemiCap vs total shoulder replacement for lifters

Default HemiCap vs total shoulder replacement for lifters

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Folks,
    Long time lurker here. I've been told recently that I need a total shoulder replacement. According to radiologist: severe OE of L glenohumeral joint. Not really interested in that as I won't be able to lift much of anything after. Looking around on the web I ran across a procedure called the HemiCap, which is more like a partial replacement of the humerus ball sometimes with a lining on the cup side on the shoulder blade. Louie Simmons had one and was benching 300 lbs 10 days after surgery. Other lifters (some setting records) have similar stories to tell.

Anyone had this done and been able to get back to serious lifting, or have any similar knowledge of the procedure or recovery/rehab stories from it? Thank you in advance.

AJ

Background/stats:

63 y/o male. 225 lbs. Initial injury approx. 4 years ago from a bad snowboarding fall onto the L shoulder (caught a back edge while spinning went down hard). Immediately lost the ability to bench or press anything overhead. Over time bench came back (using a Slingshot, then transitioning back to regular bench). Overhead press never did despite quite a lot of rehab and mobility/re-patterning work. Lately the low bar SQ position has been harder and harder to get to, effectively impossible now. Best raw good-form gym numbers last year or so: 1 x 405 lb slingshot bench (355 w/o), 455 low bar SQ, 505 lb DL. Prior to injury could overhead push press and comfortably lock out 225x8 and 275x1. Have not been able to lock out anything overhead (not even just the arm) or come near on L side since injury. Seem to be able to bench fine and mostly pain free otherwise except for the acute episode now and then. Which is odd if the joint is in fact toast, but the ortho guy says I am using shoulder blade mobility to compensate (I disagree but hey). Trying to do too much OH mobility or joint work is quickly discouraged by pain. Seem to be at the limit of that now, and just not getting any better.

Some links

Right Shoulder Pain - Joint Replacement Alternative

Brian Be Nimble, Brian Be Quick... Thanks to the Shoulder HemiCAP! | Bone spurs, Patient story, Shoulder

Rudy is Back to Breaking Powerlifting World Records After Receiving Bilateral OVO Implants - bioregen.sk

Typo above, should be OA (osteoarthritis) not OE. Also radiologist says there is moderate OA of the AC joint, which of course is a whole different thing.

Well I guess nobody here has experience with this. I will continue to look into this and post any updates. Even if this is not what I need maybe someone else can benefit, here is a video explaining the procedure:

HemiCap(R) Resurfacing | Resurgens Orthopaedics