starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: possible plantar rupture

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Just speaking for myself, but yes, yes I would.

I’d personally let the warm-ups dictate what I ended up with as far as load, and, I’d let myself continue to move up in load as long as my baseline pain didn’t stay elevated with sharper, more localized pain after more than about 30 seconds after finishing the set. If pain immediately returned to baseline, I’d keep going. But, I also have to admit that I treat myself differently than I can treat my patients.
    I actually have not been training throughout the lock downs. So now is a great time to start. Picking up with day 1 of the program should be a conservative enough starting point. It seems to be gradually improving every morning. I have stopped using crutches, and I'm walking around my home a bit more without the boot on at all.

At what point would you have someone resume dynamic type of activities, like basketball, or anything involving running and jumping?

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestJ View Post
    I actually have not been training throughout the lock downs. So now is a great time to start. Picking up with day 1 of the program should be a conservative enough starting point. It seems to be gradually improving every morning. I have stopped using crutches, and I'm walking around my home a bit more without the boot on at all.

At what point would you have someone resume dynamic type of activities, like basketball, or anything involving running and jumping?
    Easy. I’d do it when I can execute a very heavy squat workout with no pain, or at least not enough to make we worry about coming out of position. I’d be comfortable playing ball when I can load the hell out of the barbell and I don’t have to think about my foot. It will happens faster than you think.

Also, go to a local sports store and get you a comfortable, but relatively stiff pair of insoles for your shoes and get ones that have a mild arch support in them. You’ll thank me in due time.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Easy. I’d do it when I can execute a very heavy squat workout with no pain, or at least not enough to make we worry about coming out of position. I’d be comfortable playing ball when I can load the hell out of the barbell and I don’t have to think about my foot. It will happens faster than you think.

Also, go to a local sports store and get you a comfortable, but relatively stiff pair of insoles for your shoes and get ones that have a mild arch support in them. You’ll thank me in due time.
    First day in the books. Foot pain did not get in the way of pushing the starting weights. At the end of the workout the foot tightened up quite a bit and I was walking gimpy. Not sure if that was just self preservation or what.

I am looking at the Spenco orthotic arch supports. They can be molded via boiling and have worked for me in the past to alleviate shin splints. But I don't play football anymore, therefore I don't run stupid amounts when I'm already exhausted, and don't get shin splints. So I never replaced them after high school.

I'm wearing the boot less. Maybe 25-50% of the time. When should I just stop wearing it all together?

To deal with and hopefully prevent ongoing plantar fasciitis symptoms that flare up from time to time do you think a slant board and/or doing downward dog yoga pose are worthwhile?

I highly recommend using something off the shelf. My personal favorites are Sof-Sole and Superfeet inserts. Try them on and whichever one feels the most comfortable, immediately, is the right one to go with.

Once you are squatting a full workout without getting gimpy, I’d get rid of the boot (if I were in charge of my own care).

For prevention / mitigation of PF symptoms / relative risk: stretch your calves. A pro-stretch is a worthy investment for $35. Keep good insoles in your shoes. Wear appropriate footwear for what you are doing. That’s what the best available evidence says.

Thanks for the help Will. I had no luck with the fit of the off the shelf insoles at Dick's. Most of them feel like an elevated heel rather than an arch support. So I went with the Spenco, they are off the shelf but much harder to find in stores.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm close to transitioning to phase two of the program. Do you advise introducing the power clean?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12