starting strength gym

Thread: Squatting Post Shoulder Dislocation

Default Squatting Post Shoulder Dislocation

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, first of all I'd like to express how grateful I am to be here and that I'm a big fan of the starting strength methods, I'm a 17 year old kid.
    I've dislocated my left shoulder 7 times now during rugby / basketball games. It's generally okay on the big three however the squat provides me the biggest issue.
    Even with gripping the bar very wide (which negatively affects my upper back tightness), I'm left with a painful and unstable sensation in the shoulder, akin to it fighting to stay in the socket, although I'd like to note, the wider grip does feel slightly better on the shoulder joint.

Apologies for the light weight and potential bad form, I'm a relatively new lifter and I realize posting that light is discouraged here but as it's only my second recent squat session due to lockdowns in Ireland, it is unfortunately as much as my shoulder can handle at the moment.

Are there any tricks I can utilize to make the shoulder feel more stable and safe when squatting?

Thank you so much in advance, this forum is amazing. -Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by kmanjt View Post
    Hi, first of all I'd like to express how grateful I am to be here and that I'm a big fan of the starting strength methods, I'm a 17 year old kid.
    I've dislocated my left shoulder 7 times now during rugby / basketball games. It's generally okay on the big three however the squat provides me the biggest issue.
    Even with gripping the bar very wide (which negatively affects my upper back tightness), I'm left with a painful and unstable sensation in the shoulder, akin to it fighting to stay in the socket, although I'd like to note, the wider grip does feel slightly better on the shoulder joint.

Apologies for the light weight and potential bad form, I'm a relatively new lifter and I realize posting that light is discouraged here but as it's only my second recent squat session due to lockdowns in Ireland, it is unfortunately as much as my shoulder can handle at the moment.

Are there any tricks I can utilize to make the shoulder feel more stable and safe when squatting?

Thank you so much in advance, this forum is amazing. -Kevin.
    It would have been nice if the socialized medical system in your country would have treated your initial traumatic dislocation properly. As a young, athletic male with a traumatic dislocation of the glenohumeral joint, you should have been indicated for surgery soon afterwards. After seven dislocations, there is virtually nothing in the inventory that will remedy this problem outside of surgical intervention.

I appreciate the response sir and that is disheartening to hear. Medical care here in Ireland is of a very low standard. The first time I had the dislocation, my general practitioner refused to even give me a sling for the shoulder and none of the doctors I've seen have ever wanted to send me for surgery.

In the past I have been able to squat as much as 225 with these dislocations, but the shoulder pain and risk of dislocation while squatting has always been the largest limiting factor in my progress.

Being a stubborn bastard and refusing to quit (as indicated by seven dislocations during rugby and basketball matches), I'm going to have to try to find a way to adapt (beyond a disgusting leg press) because I love lifting, despite being awful at it.

Thank you for your time sir and answer sir, appreciate it sincerely.