starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cortisone Shots

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    There wasn’t really a diagnosis as such the mri just showed inflammation in the ac joint and bursa. It’s just never gone in a year so they want to do a cortisone shot to see if it settles it.

Moving to the Injuries forum.

Quote Originally Posted by mattjames View Post
    There wasn’t really a diagnosis as such the mri just showed inflammation in the ac joint and bursa. It’s just never gone in a year so they want to do a cortisone shot to see if it settles it.
    The correlation between radiological findings indicative of inflammatory processes and symptomology isn't great. Cortisone shots are perfectly fine for people who won't actively do anything to make themselves better. Prior to allowing my shoulder to be injected "to see if it settles it", I'd ask that a trial injection of Marcaine / lidocaine be given to make sure we had the pain generator identified.

(I'm not the OP, for the record)
    My dad had a biceps tendon rupture after having 3 cortisone shots in his shoulder (I don't recall specifically if it was pre or postop from his rotator cuff repair; I think it was after). He's not a lifter but a generally strong guy who'd been working with his hands his entire life (still is at 75). I would think long and hard about treating it with cortisone, especially if you're intending to stay active.

Hi Dr. We spoke about this a year or so back on another thread. I have done a years worth of physiotherapy here in the uk but it hasn’t changed anything so it’s not that I won’t do anything to fix it. They just don’t seem to know what the cause is and I think the shot is a default option they are going too to treat the symptoms temporarily. My worry is that when I asked what stops the pain and inflammation coming back when the shot wears off I was met with a shrug. They basically said I should stop training heavy and doing overhead work and just go light and try not to aggravate it forever more. Not much of an answer but I have no idea how to rehab it so it looks like I may have to learn to live with lifting heavy and naproxen! I think they are hoping the shot will just make it (And me) go away!!

Quote Originally Posted by mattjames View Post
    Hi Dr. We spoke about this a year or so back on another thread. I have done a years worth of physiotherapy here in the uk but it hasn’t changed anything so it’s not that I won’t do anything to fix it. They just don’t seem to know what the cause is and I think the shot is a default option they are going too to treat the symptoms temporarily. My worry is that when I asked what stops the pain and inflammation coming back when the shot wears off I was met with a shrug. They basically said I should stop training heavy and doing overhead work and just go light and try not to aggravate it forever more. Not much of an answer but I have no idea how to rehab it so it looks like I may have to learn to live with lifting heavy and naproxen! I think they are hoping the shot will just make it (And me) go away!!
    I feel your frustrations. Seems like docs want to take the path of least resistance. They'd rather mask the symptoms with injections or "pain management" and suggest "lifestyle modification."

What about platelet rich plasma rather than a steroid?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by SpazTheCat View Post
    What about platelet rich plasma rather than a steroid?
    Yeah thats an interesting suggestion. Never really heard of it until recently. Not sure if the NHS here (UK) would use it and no idea what the cost would be private ( guessing t would be eeeexpensive though. Though I did read that it takes several months to be effective.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12