starting strength gym

Thread: power cleans after patella tendon repair

Default power cleans after patella tendon repair

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Good Afternoon,
    I'd really appreciate some advice. I had a patella tendon rupture doing crossfit in 2011 repaired and rehabbed at the time. My Physio seemed pretty good and reassured me that repairs are usually very robust and to do anything but avoid "deep plyometrics". I came to SS last year and haven't finished my NLP now interrupted by lockdown. I am due to restart next week with the necessary modifications for the long layoff (not inactive during this time but detrained).
    I was cautious with my NLP and didn't do cleans and was still at the stage where my deadlift was progressing by the session albeit with small jumps. However I am thinking of introducing power cleans into my NLP as and when I need to reduce my deadlift pulling frequency.
    I am aware their is no such thing as a completely safe exercise that is also effective but I wondered what you thought the risk/benefit of doing them as instructed in the blue book would be? I am keen to include them if there is an acceptable risk partly because of having their virtues explained to me but also they just seem like an awesome exercise for building power safely.

stats: M 41 220 pounds squat 3x5 235lb press 3x5 137.5lb bench 3x5 205lb deadlift 1x5 310lb chins 1x5 (Feb 2020)

Many Thanks
    James

Quote Originally Posted by Jdcuth View Post
    Good Afternoon,
    I'd really appreciate some advice. I had a patella tendon rupture doing crossfit in 2011 repaired and rehabbed at the time. My Physio seemed pretty good and reassured me that repairs are usually very robust and to do anything but avoid "deep plyometrics". I came to SS last year and haven't finished my NLP now interrupted by lockdown. I am due to restart next week with the necessary modifications for the long layoff (not inactive during this time but detrained).
    I was cautious with my NLP and didn't do cleans and was still at the stage where my deadlift was progressing by the session albeit with small jumps. However I am thinking of introducing power cleans into my NLP as and when I need to reduce my deadlift pulling frequency.
    I am aware their is no such thing as a completely safe exercise that is also effective but I wondered what you thought the risk/benefit of doing them as instructed in the blue book would be? I am keen to include them if there is an acceptable risk partly because of having their virtues explained to me but also they just seem like an awesome exercise for building power safely.

stats: M 41 220 pounds squat 3x5 235lb press 3x5 137.5lb bench 3x5 205lb deadlift 1x5 310lb chins 1x5 (Feb 2020)

Many Thanks
    James
    If you have had no lingering problems or weakness after the surgery, I see no compelling reason why a conservative re-introduction of the power clean would be particularly harmful.

Thank you