starting strength gym

Thread: Anterior hip tendonitis?

Question Anterior hip tendonitis?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have had some discomfort and lingering pain in my hips, just below my ASIS for a few weeks. It's not severe by any means, but does tend to discourage me from squatting (I still squat through it though). It gets especially uncomfortable and nagging at the bottom of the squat.

I am assuming this is some kind of tendonitis that is just due to regular intense squatting and my insane tendency to practice squatting throughout the day.

Unfortunately my garage is so packed with crap that a technique video is not going to practical at this time. Are there some common technique errors that may lead to this?

Rip's recent video on tendonitis has me thinking I just need to train through it. But are there are other interventions that might be important?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    I have had some discomfort and lingering pain in my hips, just below my ASIS for a few weeks. It's not severe by any means, but does tend to discourage me from squatting (I still squat through it though). It gets especially uncomfortable and nagging at the bottom of the squat.

I am assuming this is some kind of tendonitis that is just due to regular intense squatting and my insane tendency to practice squatting throughout the day.

Unfortunately my garage is so packed with crap that a technique video is not going to practical at this time. Are there some common technique errors that may lead to this?Leaning forward and holding the bar in that position before initiating the descent. Not pushing the knees out enough. Squatting drastically too low.

Rip's recent video on tendonitis has me thinking I just need to train through it. But are there are other interventions that might be important?tempo squats (3-1-2 tempo) are my bread and butter for rehabbing tendon pain.

Thanks in advance.
    Comments above in bold.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Leaning forward and holding the bar in that position before initiating the descent. Not pushing the knees out enough. Squatting drastically too low....

tempo squats (3-1-2 tempo) are my bread and butter for rehabbing tendon pain.
    Thanks very much. I'll be mindful of the technique errors during my next set. #3 is my prime suspect.

For the tempo squats, is a reset warranted? And does this mean just slow down my current squat work? Or is this a separate work set to be programmed in?

The drastically increased time under tension should require a drop back in the amount of weight you are doing. I'd do tempo squats three times a week for the next 2-3 weeks and then introduce regular squats back the following week. These will take the place of normal squats. I tend to program 4 sets of 3 for these. Seems to work well in the gym and in the clinic, as well.

The drastically increased time under tension should require a drop back in the amount of weight you are doing. I'd do tempo squats three times a week for the next 2-3 weeks and then introduce regular squats back the following week. These will take the place of normal squats. I tend to program 4 sets of 3 for these. Seems to work well in the gym and in the clinic, as well.
    Okay. Thanks Will!

I bet once you start tempo squatting and hitting appropriate depth, you will realize you were bottoming the shit out of your squats and your pelvis was tilting posteriorly which was putting a sharp pull on the hip flexor.

Default One more question

Very sorry, one more question. Deadlifting and power cleaning also seem to aggravate the same area, particularly during Step 4. I was considering doing Rack Pulls and Hang Cleans as an alternative while rehabbing as well. Do you think this is necessary? Or is continuing to deadlift & clean the better route?

starting strength coach development program
    I bet once you start tempo squatting and hitting appropriate depth, you will realize you were bottoming the shit out of your squats and your pelvis was tilting posteriorly which was putting a sharp pull on the hip flexor.
    I will circle back after a few weeks to let you know!