starting strength gym

Thread: Joint HyperMobility/Ehlers Danlos

Default Joint HyperMobility/Ehlers Danlos

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My wife and sister-in-law have a genetic deficiency in folic acid absorbtion (heterozygous MTHFR polymorphism). The extreme version of their issue is Ehlers Danlos syndrome.

In practice this means that their connective tissue is spongey and recovers poorly from injury. They're prone to over-stretching injuries, sprains, etc.

Specifically my concern would be I don't know if their ligaments and tendons will adapt to load as easily or recover as quickly. Additionally, during execution of the movements won't have the same proprioception to tell them they have reached the bottom of the squat or the lockout of the deadlift (for example).

I was wondering if anyone has trained folks like this and have had to make program modifications, take special precautions, or developed good cues for execution.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for you call yesterday on the live Q&A. Did I not answer your question well enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Thanks for you call yesterday on the live Q&A. Did I not answer your question well enough?
    You absolutely did, Mark! You asked me to post this on the forum so that others could take advantage of the answer and possible discussion. So I did

Let's see what they say in the correct forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Let's see what they say in the correct forum.
    Oh yikes, you answered me on the recorded podcast and I called in the question not realizing the week delay on the prerecorded version. Thank you very much for tolerating my question not once, not twice, but now three times

Is it possible to have varying severities of this condition? I've wondered if I have something like this sometimes. I know there's been some writing about it being comorbid with keratoconus, an eye condition I have. I don't really have any of the circulation issues that usually come with it though, I just tend to be really stretchy and my joints pop and click a lot.

starting strength coach development program
    Severity varies and symptoms vary. My wife has more of the vascular symptoms that Rip alluded to in the most recent Q&A while my sister in law has more of the joint injury issues. They’re both ridiculously flexible. I was showing my wife some example BJJ submissions and shoulder attacks (e.g. American Lock) didn’t feel like anything to her.

My mother in law also has the condition and has a variety problems but none that leap out like it does in her daughters.

My brother in law is more like what you describe along with random-seeming eye problems.