starting strength gym

Thread: Wrist Injury Part 2

Default Wrist Injury Part 2

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I injured my wrist in May and I haven't been able to recover. I posted I had this injury a couple of months ago.

I think it happened while bench pressing. It is the left side of my left wrist. A vague discomfort around the styloid process of the ulna and the triquetrum. Sometimes the discomfort spreads up the left side of my arm. Sometimes I feel fine and it seems like it is finally getting better, but it unexpectedly comes back (the discomfort). The pain is not intense as well as not extremely local. Like a said, it is mostly a discomfort, like something "is off", that is spread around the left side of the wrist. I thought it was a minor sprain but I was recently suggested it may be a fracture (I will be getting an x-ray soon). I would appreciate your guys' input.

This is roughly what I've been doing for about 3 weeks now (not in the same order every time except the first 3):
    - warm wrist up with a hot towel
    - standing push ups - warmup (2x15)
    - eccentric wrist flexion / extension with 10 lb dumbbell - warm up (2x15)
    - overhead press (just bar) (2x10)
    - bench press with dumbbells (10-15 lb) (2x15)
    - assisted pull ups (2x10)
    - regular push ups (2x15)
    - (recently squats just because I need to)

It's possible I'm doing something wrong with the programming (trying to treat it too much?). I'm doing these exercises under the assumption that it is a sprain. Could be wrong though. If any of these symptoms are similar to a previous injury you guys know of and that was treated successfully, I would greatly appreciate any insight into what the problem might be and how it was resolved. Thanks a lot!

Hey Medina,

I do not think you need to be doing as many exercises as you are. The first thing to do with wrist pain like this is getting an X-Ray to rule out a fracture. After that, I would progressively load it using the main exercises (bench, press, squats, deadlifts, and chins) and a couple of specific ones. Using a barbell, I would focus on setting the bar in the heel of your hand for pressing exercises. For many people in this situation, pushups, especially when the wrist is loaded in compression at end range extension, can be irritating. A correctly held barbell does not encounter this same issue. I would keep the wrist extension/flexion exercise and probably add a pronation/supination exercise for the time being. If a fracture is ruled out and you are looking for something to modify your symptoms, I would look into a TFCC brace on amazon. I have helped a few people that love the wrist widget. Lastly, sometimes these wrist tweaks can take a while to work themselves out. Don't get discouraged and keep training; however, you can make exercise modifications where you need to keep loading yourself.

It's interesting you make that distinction – Pressure on the heel while not extending the wrist completely. I'll use that and the pronation/supination exercises! I'm getting my results for the x-ray next week. I'll ask for an MRI to test for a TFCC tear (or any tear/injury). The brace has good reviews, I might get it. I was using a brace before (one that wraps around the thumb and extends over the wrist to part of the arm) but my wrist and grip felt like they were atrophying, so I stopped. I just don't do anything really heavy. Thanks a lot for the feedback/encouragement Nick!

You're welcome and goodluck!