starting strength gym

Thread: Adaptations to the program after reconstrutive elbow surgery

Default Adaptations to the program after reconstrutive elbow surgery

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Male, 49 yrs, 5.9’, 220 pounds about 36% body fat
    former mountain climber, long-distance swimmer and cyclist. Used to be fit if not strong.

3rd week of not-quite-the program
    squat up from 68 to 123
    press up from 40 to 62
    bench press up from 55 to 75
    deadlift up from 68 to 162

weight is up 10 pounds, chest, delts and traps definitely look bigger.

goal: get stronger, bulkier and lose weight.
    concern: prosthesis replacing the head of the radio on the right arm, several plates and screws throughout the ulna, triceps head had to be re-inserted at the elbow. Shoulder is fine. Arm is functional but weak, before the program I could sit on a hammer machine and press 150 pounds for reps with the good arm only, but not more than 50 with other. Extension of the forearm is slightly limited (perhaps 170 degrees rather than 180), hand will pronate and supinate fully under load. Pronation of the hand is particularly painful at the elbow.

I can’t always have the elbow fully recover in between training sessions, and I’ve been alternating between the press and the bench press. By skipping one of them I can go at it again in 2 or 3 days, but when I get carried away and do both the elbow will hurt for longer and the next lift becomes a real grinder just to keep at the same weight.

It is really easy for me to press 62 pounds on the concentric phase of the movement, trouble starts at the top when the barbell loses momentum and the elbow has to hold the weight, bringing it down is way harder then sending it up.

I don’t want to stop lifting, and ideally I don’t even want to lift less, because I like it, it is the moment of the day I forget about everything and focus on the barbell with loud music blasting from behind. LOVE IT.

I would ask for suggestions on possible adaptations on the program in view of the arm. Two days are definitely enough to recover from squats but not from a press/bench press sequence. Should I reduce the load? Perhaps substitute pressing for isolated triceps exercises once a week? What do you see as best for strengthening the elbow under these limitations? I don’t dream of pressing as much as a person with a sound arm would, but I think I can lift more than I do at present, so I see advice from this forum as potentially very helpful.

When you have a requirement for personalized adaptations to the program due to a injury or a post-operative condition, this is a time to heavily consider paying for the services of a professional coach with experience dealing with lifters with orthopaedic conditions. There are far too many considerations here, and this issue is far too complex to be able to provide you with a recommendation other than isolated triceps exercises probably won't do any more for you than the press and bench press already do.

Thank you, Will. I will definitely consider that. Gyms should be re-opening soon, I think.