starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Keeps Injuring My Lower Back

Default Deadlift Keeps Injuring My Lower Back

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I started doing starting strength programing about 6 weeks ago. I am a 37 year old 6'0 206lb male. Two weeks ago I hurt my lower back doing the deadlift. The pain was localized on the right side of my spine. When I first injured my back it made several pops like I was at the chiropractor. Yesterday, I felt better so I thought I would slowly work my way back into the deadlift. I started with five reps of one plate which went well. Then I went up to 2 plates but on the first rep my lower back immediately jolted with pain. This morning I had to have my wife put my socks and shoes on for me.

This leaves me with the following questions:

1. What can I do to relieve the pain?
    2. How long should I wait until I get back into the deadlift?
    3. How can I get feedback on my deadlift when I don't have a starting strength gym in my city?

Thank you for your advice.

Just film your deadlift(make sure to read the sticky on filming angles) and post here in the Technique section and we will give you feedback

My back tweaks are always fixed by stretching my lower back. However, I've never heard any popping sounds, so I don't know if my solution would work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamWallace View Post
    I started doing starting strength programing about 6 weeks ago. I am a 37 year old 6'0 206lb male. Two weeks ago I hurt my lower back doing the deadlift. The pain was localized on the right side of my spine. When I first injured my back it made several pops like I was at the chiropractor. Yesterday, I felt better so I thought I would slowly work my way back into the deadlift. I started with five reps of one plate which went well. Then I went up to 2 plates but on the first rep my lower back immediately jolted with pain. This morning I had to have my wife put my socks and shoes on for me.

This leaves me with the following questions:

1. What can I do to relieve the pain?
    2. How long should I wait until I get back into the deadlift?
    3. How can I get feedback on my deadlift when I don't have a starting strength gym in my city?

Thank you for your advice.
    What do you think that the multiple pops mean?