starting strength gym

Thread: Take it easy or train through?

Default Take it easy or train through?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    To whom it may concern,

I injured my knee around 8 months ago by squatting too narrow, this was before I found SS, now I try to push my knees out coming out of the bottom. It hurt so damn much that I could barley walk or lift my leg. It seemed as any contraction made it hurt. It eventually went away. Last week, after my workout, I felt a slight pain in the same spot, front of the knee, right side of the bottom of the patella. I did have full ACL reconstruction on it in 2011 when I was 14, if it helps. When the injury first happened I went to go see my PA, I got MRIs and X-rays. They found absolutely nothing. They think it’s inflation of something in the area. I did my own research and came to the conclusion of fat pad impingement or patellar tendinitis. So, my question is do I take it easy on it for now or try to train through? I bought some knee wraps to keep them more stable during my sessions, because the left knee has always tended to be a little loose feeling and army didn’t help that cause. Should I take more time to warm up my knee? More warmup sets? Anything would help. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleyGuacamole View Post
    To whom it may concern,

I injured my knee around 8 months ago by squatting too narrow, this was before I found SS, now I try to push my knees out coming out of the bottom. It hurt so damn much that I could barley walk or lift my leg. It seemed as any contraction made it hurt. It eventually went away. Last week, after my workout, I felt a slight pain in the same spot, front of the knee, right side of the bottom of the patella. I did have full ACL reconstruction on it in 2011 when I was 14, if it helps. When the injury first happened I went to go see my PA, I got MRIs and X-rays. They found absolutely nothing. They think it’s inflation of something in the area. I did my own research and came to the conclusion of fat pad impingement or patellar tendinitis. So, my question is do I take it easy on it for now or try to train through? I bought some knee wraps to keep them more stable during my sessions, because the left knee has always tended to be a little loose feeling and army didn’t help that cause. Should I take more time to warm up my knee? More warmup sets? Anything would help. Thank you.
    Have you ever had a coach examine your squat technique?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Have you ever had a coach examine your squat technique?
    Sorry I am so very late replying. Not used to online forums and honestly forgot to check back.

No, I never have gotten it checked by a coach, but have posted it in r/startingstrength on reddit since. I have gotten good advise and honestly haven't had too much of a problem with it, though does still act up on a bad day. So I am unsure what to make of it. About 10 years ago I did have an ACL tear where they used part of my patellar tendon to make a new ACL, I have always thought the aggravation of something with that could be a culprit.