starting strength gym

Thread: Hip popped at bottom of squat

Default Hip popped at bottom of squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’m 175lbs 5’-6” and in my second week of novice training cycle I’ve been progressing in 5lb increments each session in the squat. On my last work set on Friday I was descending on my second rep and heard a loud pop followed by dull pain in my Right hip. I was able to finish the rep and rack the weight but not without an aching pain lingering in the hip. I took a little bit to rest and make sure the pain was nothing serious (did a few air squats then squat jumps with minor discomfort) after which I decided I was fine and went back to the bar repeated the last work set for 5reps and then finished my press and deadlift sets with the same discomfort. I took a hot epsom salt bath and foam rolled before bed thinking that would relieve some inflammation had there been any. I woke up Saturday with much worse pain in the right hip and low back, especially when lifting my leg anteriorly and laterally. Sunday my wife went into labor. And as I’m typing this we are getting ready to leave the hospital so needless to say... Monday’s training session did not take place. My hip pain has diminished back to the dull pain from before and I have almost full ROM in the air squat again with.

Question 1: any ideas on what might have caused the injury

Question 2: Should I continue with my normal progression or taper back?

Quote Originally Posted by Zando8462 View Post
    I’m 175lbs 5’-6” and in my second week of novice training cycle I’ve been progressing in 5lb increments each session in the squat. On my last work set on Friday I was descending on my second rep and heard a loud pop followed by dull pain in my Right hip. I was able to finish the rep and rack the weight but not without an aching pain lingering in the hip. I took a little bit to rest and make sure the pain was nothing serious (did a few air squats then squat jumps with minor discomfort) after which I decided I was fine and went back to the bar repeated the last work set for 5reps and then finished my press and deadlift sets with the same discomfort. I took a hot epsom salt bath and foam rolled before bed thinking that would relieve some inflammation had there been any. I woke up Saturday with much worse pain in the right hip and low back, especially when lifting my leg anteriorly and laterally. Sunday my wife went into labor. And as I’m typing this we are getting ready to leave the hospital so needless to say... Monday’s training session did not take place. My hip pain has diminished back to the dull pain from before and I have almost full ROM in the air squat again with.

Question 1: any ideas on what might have caused the injury Poor technique would be the first thing I would have to assume.

Question 2: Should I continue with my normal progression or taper back? Depends on what you are able to do. Me, personally, I would not want to hinder my normal progression for something that has, thus far, been relatively self-limiting.
    Answers as above.