starting strength gym

Thread: Post inguinal hernia pain 3/4 months after op, mainly during and after weight-lifting

Default Post inguinal hernia pain 3/4 months after op, mainly during and after weight-lifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone,

Sorry for yet another hernia query, but I haven't found much information (or similar experiences) that have been helpful for my particular problem.

I started doing weight-lifting (Starting Strength) earlier this year, really enjoyed it, but unfortunately got a hernia on my right-hand side after a few months. I had the operation and read widely online that I should be ok to resume weight-lifting after a few weeks (if not earlier). My surgeon suggested leaving it a month but, as I still had pain in the area, I thought I would play it safe and leave it for 2 months. When I tried weight-lifting again (starting with light weights), at that point, I had quite a bit of pain in the area where the hernia had been so went back to the doctor. He found another very small hernia on the left-hand side (a slightly separate issue) but said that the first operation was healing well and that I should just take a painkiller for the aches when weight-lifting (in practice, this would mean taking painkillers all week round as most of the pain comes afterwards/a day later)

Now I am about 4 months since the operation and still get (worsening) pain/aches from the area of the operation - to the point that I am beginning to wonder whether I have a second hernia on that side. I can't seem to find many examples of people who still get pain from weight-lifting that far out from the operation. I have booked another scan with my doctor to check things over - but I'd be grateful to hear if anyone has had similar experiences or can offer any advice. I'd absolutely hate to give up weight-lifting/starting strength but, at this point, I am beginning to despair slightly - squats in particular seem to channel a lot of pressure through the area.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have!

It’s been three years since I had mine done and it still hurts after heavy deadlifts or if I lean back. You don’t need to give up weightlifting, if the repair is bad just get it redone, that’s what I’m planning on having done. I also developed one on my other side less than a month after training again. You can also look into getting a shouldice repair done if someone around you does them, it doesn’t use mesh but is supposed to be extremely strong, but complicated to perform.

Hi, I don't that I can help you much but here's my experience. I also had an inguinal hernia on my right side 5 years ago, I was 22 years old and wasn't training at the time (merely exercising ). My surgeon advised for the Shouldice repair, I don't if you had that done but most likely they put a mesh instead. The pain was really severe for 1 week, it took 1 month in order to be confortable to do stuff and about 2-3 months to experience little to no pain. I would say the area felt stiff for a year. But as time went by, every day felt a little better.

I think 4 months post-op, it is normal to still feel stiffness and sometimes a little more. If you feel like your training triggers lots of pain in the area, maybe try squatting/deadlifting (and also pressing) without a belt or wear it looser and focus on contracting your abs rather than pushing your stomach out, and let pain be your guide there (and don't do sit-ups or crunches in my opinion). It's a good thing you got another appointment with your doctor, it probably just take time to heal up in your case I guess.

Also, if you have antoher one on the left, however small it is, it might be a good idea to get it fixed too, these things don't really get better. Ask your doc what he thinks when you see him.

I hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    It’s been three years since I had mine done and it still hurts after heavy deadlifts or if I lean back. You don’t need to give up weightlifting, if the repair is bad just get it redone, that’s what I’m planning on having done. I also developed one on my other side less than a month after training again. You can also look into getting a shouldice repair done if someone around you does them, it doesn’t use mesh but is supposed to be extremely strong, but complicated to perform.
    Thanks for the reply - that is useful to know. I actually saw my surgeon on Friday (for a check up and a scan) and he made clear that I could carry on with the weightlifting and that the pain should fade over the coming year. A big relief