starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quad Pain/IT Band issue

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I don't' think you are getting deep enough. There is a diagram on pg 17 of the book that shows what I am thinking is going on. If I get shallow my knee will let me know.

And what Matt said.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    Look at what your knees are doing before and between reps.

/also, you should really walk out backwards and re rack forwards, but that's not the source of your quad pain.

do you mean how im forcing them out to the sides? i thought it was a good idea to do this? i took this as a cue i.e to force my legs out before i descend. i actually thought at one point, not doing this previously might have caused my IT band issue but maybe ive been interpreting something completely wrong on this.

i have tried walking it out backwards and just cannot get used of it. its a mental thing lol

Quote Originally Posted by BASE View Post
    I don't' think you are getting deep enough. There is a diagram on pg 17 of the book that shows what I am thinking is going on. If I get shallow my knee will let me know.

And what Matt said.
    is it hard to tell with the bar in the way though. i have been looking at it a couple of times and im not sure if they are low enough. i have recorded myself previously from a more side on angle and i seem to go deeper.

to get deeper should i be driving my hips back more on the descent? when squatting last night i wasn't really doing this. i was breaking at the hip but just dropping them vertically and not driving back if that makes sense. Here is a couple more older videos which seem to be deeper. am i hitting sufficient depth on these?

this is actually 130kg. i mixed it up with a previous session.

110kg warm up set a few weeks ago

137.5kg a few weeks back. ignore the expletives at the end lol.

this was a few months back. just one rep. im too upright in this and i think i have the bar too high on my back.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC85 View Post
    do you mean how im forcing them out to the sides? i thought it was a good idea to do this? i took this as a cue i.e to force my legs out before i descend. i actually thought at one point, not doing this previously might have caused my IT band issue but maybe ive been interpreting something completely wrong on this.

i have tried walking it out backwards and just cannot get used of it. its a mental thing lol
    After you unrack, you're standing with your knees bent. I'm not even sure you're completely locking out your knees at the top of the reps, but you're immediately dropping down into a more bent knee position after each rep. Start each rep with your knees and hips locked (i.e. just standing with the bar on your back) and see if it doesn't clear up some of your quad pain. Have you read the book?

ive ordered a copy. im pretty new to starting strength tbh. its only in the past few months ive discovered it. im from Ireland.

i see what you mean in relation to my knees now. im dropping my hips after each rep. i do lock out at the top but immediately drop them.

im a bit confused by the depth required. is it the crease of my hip or the hip bone that needs to be below the plain of the knees? the diagrams i looked at seem like its the hip bone (where the arrow is pointed). i struggle to get lower than those videos even without weight. is my stance the issue? perhaps its too narrow. I'm not sure its at shoulder width. perhaps dropping my hips before each rep is preventing me hitting depth?

read the book.

think my mains issues are, feet not shoulder width so im not getting depth. im breaking at my hips earlier than my knees and i'm not forcing my knees out.

when i squatted the other evening i seemed to be getting deeper. i stopped dropping my hips and bending at the knee before each descent and my quads dont seem as sore but ill need more time to see if stopping doing this stops causing this pain. IT band or whatever it is on the right leg is still quite sore.

These are pretty high squats. When you read the book, it will explain why proper depth is important for safety, namely for the knees, but not exclusively so. Cutting off above parallel such as you're doing means your knees and their extensors (quads) are doing most of the work. Proper depth loads the hamstrings, adductors, and external rotators properly, and forces them to do the bulk of the work when you drive out of the hole.

The IT band pain is almost always caused by a pissed off glute medius. I used to be a runner and suffered from it a lot. Your improper squat is likely causing stress on said muscle for any number of reasons. Fixing the squat will largely render your history irrelevant.

2 Things:

1. Go watch this video (best squat instruction ever) and read the blue book. If the elderly can squat properly, so can you.

2. Tripods are about $20 on Amazon. Invest in one and film from the proper angles as described in the "Technique" forum sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    These are pretty high squats. When you read the book, it will explain why proper depth is important for safety, namely for the knees, but not exclusively so. Cutting off above parallel such as you're doing means your knees and their extensors (quads) are doing most of the work. Proper depth loads the hamstrings, adductors, and external rotators properly, and forces them to do the bulk of the work when you drive out of the hole.

The IT band pain is almost always caused by a pissed off glute medius. I used to be a runner and suffered from it a lot. Your improper squat is likely causing stress on said muscle for any number of reasons. Fixing the squat will largely render your history irrelevant.

2 Things:

1. Go watch this video (best squat instruction ever) and read the blue book. If the elderly can squat properly, so can you.

2. Tripods are about $20 on Amazon. Invest in one and film from the proper angles as described in the "Technique" forum sticky.

thanks for your feedback. i think i have it now and feel free to correct me if im still missing it. im not getting my knees out properly and they are coming forward too far over my toes which in turn causes my knees to be too low and thus harder for my hips to break parallel.

i wish i recorded myself earlier. i was delighted that i was increasing in weight over the course of the past year or so and was full sure in my head i was hitting depth. i think i was, genuinely, at some point but i think it was when i was still high bar squatting.

should i deload and just start again from scratch ? disappointing but waste of time continuing with what I'm doing now as i can longer push through the pain barrier.

even squatting like this, will i have made gains in quad strength at least? this was my main weak area and the cause of my previous hamstring tears. i have been doing other more quad focused exercises as well of course such as front squat, hack squats, and walking lunges over the past year also ofc. but hopefully squatting like this has at least given me some benefit for all my effort and pain over the past few months.

just on the video though, its great and i get that this old man is learning to squat but he isnt really hitting depth either. the crease of his hip is always above his knee from what i can see in that. again not slating the guy as he just started learning but not sure if its an example of an elderly person squatting properly either.

so ive gone back and started again pretty much with my squat. ive tried to follow the book and this is how im squatting now:
    weight is 102.5 in all sets

side view

second side view. took it out in front of the rack to show better
    YouTube

front view

view from behind. not sure about my back here tbh.
    https://studio.youtube.com/video/aF44L3ILBzo/edit

i tried to go with a wider stance initially but this seems to cause me hip pain.

starting strength coach development program
    just noticed that i messed up two of my links above. reposting

second side view outside rack

view from behind

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12